Will plants help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blue_neon

Aquarium Advice Regular
so five months ago my tank was planted. but i left home and my mom took care of everything(by take care i mean kill everything of course) now theres this nasty alage that nothing will eat. my mom bought a pleco and said that this mutant alage killed him.so how do i get rid of it? will getting plants back help?

If the tank has no plants ATM. Then you can just remove all the algae by hand. Remove any rocks or decore and scrub them too. Remove the top layer of algaefied gravel. Do a 50% water change. Blackout the tank for 3-5 days, and then after that keep the lights on only a couple hours a day and keep up the weekly 25-50% water changes.

Adding plants to this algaed tank most likely will not solve the problem. I say that based on the story in your post.

As for the pleco, there are lots of kinds. Only a couple really live exclusively on algae, and even then it has to be the type that particular pleco will eat. Most likely he starved to death. Most plecos prefer some driftwood to gnaw on, and a diet of algae wafers and zuchini will keep em happy.

What color is the algae?

Does it come off the glass and surfaces easy?

Is it thick or thin?

Is everything covered or just certain surfaces?

These answers may help people help you.

-Steve

Back
Top Bottom