Will pond snails eat Staghorn algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saverio

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hiya folks,

1st post here, as I'm relatively new to planted tanks, mine being about a month old. In that month I've been reading and trying to learn as much as I can and I must say, I'm really enjoying the look of my tank. For the last 2 weeks or so, I've really started noticing some algae growth. My algae crew currently consists of 4 otos, and 2 SAE's. I have a cherry shrimp order on the way.

Anyway, I've pretty much determined that the algae I'm seeing the most is staghorn and BBA to a lesser extent. I'm running about 2.4wpg with no CO2 injection. I'm waiting for my order of Seachem ferts (excel, iron, potassium, trace, nitrogen) so I can start a more regimented fert plan. I'll also be constructing a DIY CO2 system. In the meantime, I recently removed 5 pond snails that I discovered. My thought was that they would eat holes in my plants, as I've so often read. However, I've read a few success stories on this forum that has pretty much changed my mind about those little critters. :p

So, will they eat BBA and Staghorn?

The majority of the common pond snail species are NOT live plant eaters. They will eat dead/severely damaged leaves, and leftover food. I am currently cultivating a ton of pond and MTS for algae cleanup duty in my main tank, and for interesting interactions with my fish (they don't eat them, but every once in a while will become interested in them). They are not live breeders (pond snails) and because of this their population can be kept pretty well in check if your fish/inverts take a liking to the eggs that are laid. I think the reason why the population in my main tank never increased was due to this. (I'm growing them in a 10gallon QT tank)

I have also had bouts with BBA and staghorn, and unfortunately have not seen ANY evidence of any snail in my tank (or read about) going after these. Nerite snails if you can find them locally are considered the king of the algae eaters, but even they might not go after these algae types (they might go after BBA but staghorn is probably not going to happen).

Bummer about the staghorn. I do however currently have 10 nerite snails, but considering the fact that my tank is 40gallons, and that they do not reproduce in freshwater (I don't think), that isn't really much.

So is my only real option then is to manually remove the stuff or remove the affected leaves? I've also read about increasing CO2 to 30ppm (which as I said I don't have yet), or reducing the photoperiod.

Another thing I remember reading about is an H2O2 dip. How would I go about doing that? I'm assuming that storebought H2O2 (for cuts/scrapes) is of sufficient concentration? Dip the leaves in it for how long?

Sorry so many questions. =P

10 nerites in a 40gallon is probably more than you think. I hear those things are animals when it comes to algae eating. Again, though, they might not chow down on those types of algae.

On fast growing plants I'd recommend removing the effected leaves. On slower growing, or tough leaves (such as anubias or java fern), I prefer to keep them intact IF the leaves are not physically damaged too much (ie large holes or completely covered).

I am a fan of peroxide treatment. 30seconds from a NEW bottle is all I would do, then a quick rinse off in tap water and back into the tank. It's very effective, and you don't have to worry about carryover into the tank like you would with a bleach dip. This stuff is very powerful so again, I wouldn't do more than 30seconds.

Please keep in mind that dipping the plants is only a bandaid, and the algae will keep coming back until you solve the cause. With the amount of light that you're dealing with (especially if it's a larger tank and/or bulbs other than standard flourescents) the lack of CO2 is most likely at the heart of your problems. You may want to consider reducing the amount of light over the tank until you can get your CO2 in place and up to speed.

Welcome to AA Saverio.

Purrbox is right as usual. Cut back on your light if you can.

The pond snails won't touch the staghorn and I'm not sure whether or not they will eat the BBA.

Back
Top Bottom