Will Red Tiger Lotus reduce water pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishenthusiast

Aquarium Advice Addict
My tank's water has a pH of 7.4-7.6 and I would like to reduce it to the 6.5 range. Would Red Tiger Lotus help? Thanks

Instead, could I add peat moss to my filter? Would a combination of both work? Could I add peat moss to my filter without tinting the water color?

Any reason you're trying to lower pH?

And lotus will not reduce your pH. And peat might give you black water, not entirely sure.

Any reason you're trying to lower pH?

And lotus will not reduce your pH. And peat might give you black water, not entirely sure.

I have fish that like water in the pH of 6.0 to 7.0, and I want to create an environment where the pH is more stable. PH Down from API isn't getting the job done

Actually most fish will do fine in your current pH range. Unless you have wild caught specimens or are trying to breed a species such as Discus, there's no need to alter your pH at all. Tampering with pH can actually create more problems.

Actually most fish will do fine in your current pH range. Unless you have wild caught specimens or are trying to breed a species such as Discus, there's no need to alter your pH at all. Tampering with pH can actually create more problems.

I've read that peat will slowly alter the pH safely. I might be wrong though. Where I live, the water is very hard, and I'm getting tired of throwing chemicals in my water to lower the pH. It isn't as effective either since it isn't long lasting. I think my fish would do better in a lower pH too.

Which fish?

I have a red tiger lotus and my pH is 7.8 - it hasn't done anything to adjust my pH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Which fish?

I have a red tiger lotus and my pH is 7.8 - it hasn't done anything to adjust my pH.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some Threadfin Rainbowfish, a Ram, some Bentos Tetras (soon Harlequin Rasboras will take their place), Panda Garra, Assassin Snails, and some Cory Cats. I've read that Threadfin Rainbowfish, Rams, and Harlequin Rasboras really like acidic water

None of those are going to be affected unless you planned on breeding them. I would leave it alone.

Sent from my SM-T310 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Adding peat isn't going to hurt anything, but it will yellow the water color. It may not reduce the pH as much as you'd like either because of your hard source water. A better bet would be to cut the hard tap water with rainwater, r/o, or distilled to lower the hardness and ph.

Adding peat isn't going to hurt anything, but it will yellow the water color. It may not reduce the pH as much as you'd like either because of your hard source water. A better bet would be to cut the hard tap water with rainwater, r/o, or distilled to lower the hardness and ph.

Could I soak the peat a couple days to dissipate the color a little bit? I've also read that activated carbon in one's filter can help rid of the yellow color, but it may take a while. Is that true? I use a Eheim 2213 filter that has carbon filter media.

As jeta said you have hard water which essentially means your water is buffered and will resist being altered.

As long as the ph is stable and the water is clean your fish will be fine.

As jeta said you have hard water which essentially means your water is buffered and will resist being altered.

As long as the ph is stable and the water is clean your fish will be fine.

Okay. I'll probably experiment with the peat moss though. Maybe I'll have some success. I wish there were acidic buffers that were planted tank friendly. I remember when I had an African Cichlid tank and I never had to mess with the pH. Curse my local water company!

Okay. I'll probably experiment with the peat moss though. Maybe I'll have some success. I wish there were acidic buffers that were planted tank friendly. I remember when I had an African Cichlid tank and I never had to mess with the pH. Curse my local water company!

Just start adding in a portion of distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water, it'll cut the hardness and pH down on it's own by dilution.

In addition to the above, I've had Rams in water that was in the 8s for pH. They did fine. Keeping it stable in the mid-7s will be better for all of your fish than trying to maintain an artificial pH, especially if you can't do so consistently.

Just start adding in a portion of distilled, reverse osmosis, or rain water, it'll cut the hardness and pH down on it's own by dilution.

I like the rain water idea. I've never heard of it before. You learn something new everyday haha

In addition to the above, I've had Rams in water that was in the 8s for pH. They did fine. Keeping it stable in the mid-7s will be better for all of your fish than trying to maintain an artificial pH, especially if you can't do so consistently.

True. I'm hoping that the peat will lower the pH somewhat. It would be natural, and I would avoid pH fluctuations that I've had with pH Down. My goal is to get to a neutral pH, and I'll be patient about it. I know that it takes time with the peat. If I can get it to the lower 7's or neutral, it would be great. If I could get it into the acidic range, then I'll be really happy. This hobby sure does teach patience

My fish are kept at 8.2pH I would love to have It lower but is jest a game of jump rope to change it, most fish in your normal pet-store well be able to take about any pH you trow at in and well adapt (I'm not to sure if adapt is really the word I would use tho)

Back
Top Bottom