Workable changes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ChileRelleno

Aquarium Advice Addict
Here is what I currently have setup.
Standard 55gal AllGlass aquarium.
2 18" 15w T8 fluorescent strip lights, Flora-Glo bulbs
1 300w Won Bros Pro heat IC Titanium heater.
1 Coralife Digitude thermometer.
1 AC 300
1 Penn Plax Cascade 1200
1 Coralife 3X 9w turbotwist UVS
1 Second Nature 640 powerhead (fitted with prefilter, pumps approx 50-150gph for UVS)
Temp 77.5'F
Water Chemistry: pH 7.0, NH3-0, NO2-0, NO3- <10, GH 5'dgh & KH 4-5'dkh
Various driftwood, a couple little rock work caves and moderately planted with low light plants, Java fern, Java Moss, Dwarf Sword & Balansae.
Substrate is a 50/50 mix of smooth uncoated river gravel and pool sand at approx 1-1.5" depth

I want to plant a little heavier, with more variety, but maintain the low light and avoid CO2 & regular Fertilization.

This is what I plan on changing...

Doing away with the original hood/strip lights.
Switching to glass covers with a single Coralife Aqualight T5 48" 56w (1-28w 6700K T5 and 1-28w (350/750nm) T5).

Increasing the overall substrate depth to 3".
Doing this by mixing current substrate(s) with Eco-Complete and more pool sand.

Adding, Anacharis & various Crypts & Anubias'.

Anacharis tends to be a fast grower so you might want to switch that out for another plant. though its not a lot of work to pull large clumps out of the tank.

28w (350/750nm) T5
not sure what kind of bulb that is though.

Anacharis tends to be a fast grower so you might want to switch that out for another plant. though its not a lot of work to pull large clumps out of the tank.

not sure what kind of bulb that is though.
It is a HO T-5 roseate bulb, with peak chlorophyll absorption in the red spectrum.
Also enhances red/orange in fish coloration.

I want the Anacharis as a tall, dense background, the growth is nothing the scissors can't take care of.
Any other suggestions for tall/dense low light plants?

i would do something like vals in the back over anacharis. there are also crypts if you really want a no maintenance option. great thing about crypts is there short medium and tall crypts... something to fit your every need from size to color.

i would do something like vals in the back over anacharis. there are also crypts if you really want a no maintenance option. great thing about crypts is there short medium and tall crypts... something to fit your every need from size to color.
Yeah, the Jungle Val is supposed to be low-moderate light, but dang does it grow tall.
How does one properly trim it back?
Can it be simply trimmed down or does it require pruning the longer leaves at the bottom?

What are some good tall crypts, how tall?

just trim it down there you want it. dont have to prune it just cut the tops.

my 2 fav tall ones are crypt retrospiralis and crypt balansae both max at around 20-24 inch though takes a good amount of time. even wendtii grows to about 15-18 inch or so over time.

Back
Top Bottom