Would 2 T5 normal outputs be the same as 2 T8?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The T5's are 14 watts each , the T8's are 32 watts each. Thought T5's are more powerful than T8's but use less wattage.

the t8s are stronger. are there reflectors on either of them? are they both dual bulb? a 28w t5 will put out about the same amount of light as a 32w t8 so your t5 is about half as strong as your t8, not taking reflectors into consideration.

they are only a little bit more powerful, a 28w t5 puts out 2900 lumens and a 32w t8 puts out 2950 roughly. the reason why t5s are said to be more powerful, is because you can get higher watt bulbs than you can with a t8

My main reason for asking the question is I can get a dual strip T5 normal output for 50 dollars, whereas a dual strip T8 is over a 100. So to answer my question would the T5' give me the same light or a little more. I currently have only a single strip on my 55 gallon

it depends on the wattage of each bulb...

No it doesn't.

This is an incorrect way to think about it. The watts per gallon rule is widely discredit, and this precisely illustrates why this is. T5s use less watts, but put out similar to more light (as demonstrated experimentally with PAR measurements). The variability between T8 and T5 are largely explained by bulb-to-bulb differences in chromophores used in the bulb. Just because T8s have a higher wattage DOES NOT MEAN it has higher light. T5s are more efficient, so put out more light/watt.

Long story short, they're basically the same light level.

No it doesn't.

This is an incorrect way to think about it. The watts per gallon rule is widely discredit, and this precisely illustrates why this is. T5s use less watts, but put out similar to more light (as demonstrated experimentally with PAR measurements). The variability between T8 and T5 are largely explained by bulb-to-bulb differences in chromophores used in the bulb. Just because T8s have a higher wattage DOES NOT MEAN it has higher light. T5s are more efficient, so put out more light/watt.

Long story short, they're basically the same light level.
Thanks... The question finally got answered. I know it's not great light but better than my single strip and good enough for the plants I want to grow.

Get the duel T5 strip... if this a HO or normal output light ? I use 3 T8 lights on my 27G hex.. I use 2 floramax pink bulbs and 1 full spectrum light.. My 30g uses a duel T5 fixture and so does my 55g.

T5's put out more light and use less electricity.. For example my T8's are 18 inch 15w bulbs... I plan to buy a 24 inch T5 for my 27g hex but those bulbs are only 14w.. But I know they are brighter then my T8's.. Right now I think my lighting is low/medium due to how deep my tank is.. If get the duel T5 it should be a medium lighting.. but I plan to put the T5 in the middle and continue to use both T8 floramax lamps on each side and I think that will make my tank a medium/high light tank.

Get the duel T5 strip... if this a HO or normal output light ? I use 3 T8 lights on my 27G hex.. I use 2 floramax pink bulbs and 1 full spectrum light.. My 30g uses a duel T5 fixture and so does my 55g.

T5's put out more light and use less electricity.. For example my T8's are 18 inch 15w bulbs... I plan to buy a 24 inch T5 for my 27g hex but those bulbs are only 14w.. But I know they are brighter then my T8's.. Right now I think my lighting is low/medium due to how deep my tank is.. If get the duel T5 it should be a medium lighting.. but I plan to put the T5 in the middle and continue to use both T8 floramax lamps on each side and I think that will make my tank a medium/high light tank.

I'm getting the coralife dual T5 normal output.... This is a low tech tank, this will be fine for the plants I have

Back
Top Bottom