would appreciate critique from plant gurus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

malonbl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Been in the hobby since Christmas. Decided on plants 1 month ago. Researched enough to know what plants to buy for my very low light tank.

Here is my tank:
29 gallon, 2 HOB filters, fine gravel substrate, single T8 fluorescent, lots of DW, lava rocks, nano fish, weekly water changes of about 40%
Here is my water:
cycled tank (ammonia and nitrites zero), nitrates 5-10, phosphates 0, pH 7.8, medium-soft water (dGH 7) and decent buffering capacity (dKH 5)
Current plants:
anubias (3 frazeri, 3 nanas, 1 coffefolia), java fern (3 bunched into 1 planting), java moss. Plan to add a few more

After getting the plants in the tank (2 wks ago), I began reading more about their upkeep (substrate, lighting, micros, macros, carbon, etc). Have learned a ton perusing this and other forums, making posts and getting feedback and doing my own reading. Rivercats has been especially helpful. What I have learned is that there are a few general rules that are universal, but there is more that is debated. It seems that "just doing it" will be the way to learn what works best within my given tank.

To my point now. I am 90% confident that the following is how I will proceed, but I wanted to share it with more experienced folks to be sure no fatal flaws are noticed.

1) Attempt to increase my current 8 hr photoperiod (benefit of very low light). Will do this in 30 minute increments and allow 3 weeks for algae explosion, prior to increasing again.
2) Dose carbon in the form of metricide 14 very conservatively, starting at 1 ml/10 gallons daily. Consider increasing if algae a problem
3) Dose phosphate/potassium dry mix (from GLA) conservatively targeting phosphates between 0.5 - 1 ppm. Will test phospates prior to weekly water changes to titrate my dosing towards my target range.
4) Target nitrates at 5-10 ppm. Can dose with GLA dry KNO3 if needed (based on testing), but my water seems to always have at least 5 ppm
5) Dose micro/trace weekly with flourish comprehensive (already have bottle). I purchased the dry ferts package, so I may switch to CSM+B once my fluorish bottle is empty

My main goals are to have healthy fish and plants (growth rate not a concern) and to gain experience in keeping plants as I have an empty 20 gallon long that I want to plant at "medium-tech/light".

Any critique is welcome and thanks in advance.

It sounds like a good plan. What are you wanting to increase your photoperiod up to?

Some thoughts I have on this:

Add some crypts, you will love them :)

Dry ferts might be a bit overkill. I would start out with maybe 1/2 dosage of pps pro at most to start and see how they react. Your slow growing plants won't utilize much ferts at all.

Take a look at this link for some more low light plant ideas:

Excellent List of Low Light Plants

I have read that you can sometimes get photoperiod around 10 hours or so with a planted, low-light. But, I don't have a particular target or ceiling in mind.

I have definitely considered crypts. My one concern is that I don't have a nutritive substrate (caribsea supernaturals fine gravel) and I know they are root feeders. Root tabs would be another new practice for me, but I don't think they sound too difficult.

I purchased the dry ferts primarily for my 20 gallon long plans. But, with my phosphates at zero and an unknown potassium, I figured I could just dose that combination and gain some experience. I planned to dose under the standard, but hadn't decided how much. So, thank you for the "half dose" recommendation.

@malonbl -- your plan sounds good to me, too. Rivercats is indeed very helpful around here. She helped me out a great deal.

@Mebbid -- interesting list you linked to. I would agree with almost all those plants, but I can't believe Rotala and Downoi are on there. I would say they're at least medium light.

LFS has a few different crypt species. Referenced a few of these at tropica.com and it looks like wendtii will definitely thrive in low light and is a hardy, beginner plant. With my fertilization plan above, how often will I need to place root tabs? Favorite brand?

Last edited:
Maybe consider a 1-2 hour Siesta (rest/lights out) period in the middle of the day to get better, longer photo period and probably less algae.

I have heard of the siesta. Turns photosynthesis off for a period of time, allowing CO2 levels to be sustained which will help prevent algae with a longer photoperiod. Is that the basic premise?

OS, thanks for the confirmation on the wendtii. Root tabs how often?

I have heard of the siesta. Turns photosynthesis off for a period of time, allowing CO2 levels to be sustained which will help prevent algae with a longer photoperiod. Is that the basic premise?

OS, thanks for the confirmation on the wendtii. Root tabs how often?

Yes. It interrupts its growth cycle, preventing it from being successful in growing.

Back
Top Bottom