Would this be laterite?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rabbit

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ive noticed that there is a predominence of a red clay type soil about where I live. Im told that there was a factory that made bricks for many years not too far away, which used this clay in the process. Now, Ive been told that laterite is a redish clay like substance, so Im wondering if this stuff is something I can use as a substrate in my aquariums that my plants would like.
Anyone have any idea?
Any idea even who I could ask?

Wow, no idea if it is. Is there some sort of Department Of Environmental Conservation in Canada? I imagine there is, although I'm not sure what it would be called up there. You might want to give them a call and see if they know.

If it turns out it is, do realise you'll need to sterilise it somehow before putting it into your tanks...not sure how one would do that (bake it mebbe?).

yea, I like the baking idea

I think laterite is clay from tropical regions, where it's been aged for 1000's of years under heavy sun and rain.

but natural clay is probably richer in mineral content than aged tropical clay.

scoop some up and bake it as hot as your oven will go for a 3 or 4 hours - should kill any baddies that might be hitching a ride.

I think commerical laterite undergoes a process that makes it into those little chips / pebbles ... your clay will deffinately need a "top coat" of gravel, other wise you'll have a mess beyond compare!

Back
Top Bottom