Would this lighting system be of any merit in growing plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yes, it will grow medium and low light plants with no issues. A 60 gallon is fairly deep, so carpeting and higher light plants might be more of a challenge.

Do you intend to inject CO2?

Yes, it will grow medium and low light plants with no issues. A 60 gallon is fairly deep, so carpeting and higher light plants might be more of a challenge.

Do you intend to inject CO2?

I do eventually. Right now i need to get the lighting. Can any of you experts recommend LED lighting that would work for me for most plants? I may just take the plunge and go ahead and get some good lighting. How much would good LED lighting be? Please respond with link to your recommendations.

I've got that light, but in the 4 bulb version for a 55 gal. I disconnected two of my lights until I get the CO2 set up working ( hopefully this weekend) but if you had the 4 lights and CO2 I don't see why you couldn't grow most anything.

Lighting and co2 injection go hand in hand the reason I asked.

There are not any commercially available LED units appropriate for a 60 gal planted tank that I would recommend. Fixtures with appropriately sized diodes are geared towards marine applications.

If you are looking for high light a 4 bulb t5ho would grow anything - but also would require co2 or daily carbon supplementation. The 2 bulb would be a great start and will grow a wide array of plants without the need for co2 injection.

There are not any commercially available LED units appropriate for a 60 gal planted tank that I would recommend. Fixtures with appropriately sized diodes are geared towards marine applications.
Maxspect Razor 8000K model.

It is actually quite fairly priced considering the other options for LEDs. The cheaper Chinese fixtures use inferior components, and are usually under driven to compensate, and the better fixtures run into the thousands. The Razors are about on par with DIY using quality components.

You could DIY a fixture for well under $500 for a planted tank. I do agree though based on a cople people I know using the marine versions that they are very good fixtures.

Lighting and co2 injection go hand in hand the reason I asked.

If you are looking for high light a 4 bulb t5ho would grow anything - but also would require co2 or daily carbon supplementation. The 2 bulb would be a great start and will grow a wide array of plants without the need for co2 injection.

Ok, so i will go with the four bulb t5 ho. If i get that lighting system will the API liquid c02 suffice until i get an actual c02 injection system?

lol. I think one of the other mods had it as his signature for awhile...

"every time someone calls it liquid CO2, I die a little inside".

There is a member here who doses using glutaraldehyde and no CO2 on her 220 high light tank and it is gorgeous, so you can have great success with it.

Back
Top Bottom