Would this work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
As an alternative to emersed/dry start ...

Couldn't you go ahead and flood the tank and give high doses of excel, get the growth way up, then add fish and taper off the excel?

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

What plants are you working with? Light level?

None. It's iust a thought.

Higher light possibly than there would be later. Dunno.

I was thinking, if the point of emersed is high co2 and low algae risk ... But then emersed growth is often different and melts ...

So why not spend 6-8 weeks pushing the chosen plants to their max, with light and ferts and co2, without having to worry about fish toxicity.

Then, like a fishless cycle, do a big water change and make it hospitable to fish.

I dont think you could get enough carbon into the water using excel for a plant under high lighting.

Might be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I dont think you could get enough carbon into the water using excel for a plant under high lighting.

Might be wrong though

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Hmm.

Well. The main idea is, what might the result be, of starting a tank with a very high dose of excel, and higher lighting than there will be long term, and high ferts ...

Then once things have grown in, back it all down to whatever you plan to keep the tank at, and do a water change, and add fish.

My curiosity is whether the high Excel would help prevent algae, and whether the plants could adapt from "higher everything" to "lower everything."

For instance ... If the long term goal is a low tech, low to medium light tank without Excel ... Could you get a carpet to fill in, and stem plants to get tall quickly ... Then ratchet it all down to where the growth will slow and the conditions are better for fish.

I think if you go from high everything to low everything then your plants will probably melt. Defeating the object. Try it though

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Some plants will melt.on their own with high doses of glut. This sounds good on paper but im not sure how the plants will transition as sk3lly pointed out. I used to buy my plants from my lfs l, they had a med/high light co2 blasted diaplay, 70% of those plants went way south in my low/med. Light, excel tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Some plants will melt.on their own with high doses of glut. This sounds good on paper but im not sure how the plants will transition as sk3lly pointed out. I used to buy my plants from my lfs l, they had a med/high light co2 blasted diaplay, 70% of those plants went way south in my low/med. Light, excel tank..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That's kind of what I was wondering. But isn't this also what often happens with dry start plants? They melt once immersed?

I got a bunch of crypts from someone who ran a high tech, fertilized tank with glut and once planted in my low tech, low light, no glut tank (which also had very few fish for awhile) ... They didn't melt. But. The guy sent them home with me in water with formaldehyde. Not sure what that does.

One of many things I'd love to try if I had a garage full of 10 gallon tanks.

Back
Top Bottom