would this work? potted plants

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Masha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I want to try putting some of my plants in pots. I have a gravel & sand substrate, low lights and no CO2 injection.

I'd like to have root feeding plants like amazon swords or wisteria, and am struggling to find root tabs over here. There are some but incredibly expensive. Also cant find osmocote or any of those "home made" ingredients.

So my plan: small unglazed terracotta pot, well drained with gravel in the bottom, potting soil, then a gravel cap on top.

I also like the idea of being able to move plants and clean substrate etc.

Would this work? What would I need to watch out for?

Potted Aqautic Plants

I want to try putting some of my plants in pots. I have a gravel & sand substrate, low lights and no CO2 injection.

I'd like to have root feeding plants like amazon swords or wisteria, and am struggling to find root tabs over here. There are some but incredibly expensive. Also cant find osmocote or any of those "home made" ingredients.

So my plan: small unglazed terracotta pot, well drained with gravel in the bottom, potting soil, then a gravel cap on top.

I also like the idea of being able to move plants and clean substrate etc.

Would this work? What would I need to watch out for?

Hello Mash...

Potting aquarium plants will work fine. I use small, 4 inch tall, plastic pots with small holes in the bottom. I use organic potting mixture topped with pea sized aquarium gravel. You just put in a couple of inches of the soil, put in the plant and cover it with the gravel. The potting mixture will nourish the plant for several months and you can move the plants around if needed.

B

You need to use an Organic Potting Soil as anything other than organic can have too many things in it that you don't want in your aquarium.

Back
Top Bottom