WWYD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trennamw

Aquarium Advice Addict
With a 2 year old "my first tank" that's gotten to be pretty hodgepodge? It wasn't intended to be planted, when I first built it. So.

The goal is a medium maintenance, probably no co2 (expense), low to medium light planted tank that is easier to care for and put together with more intent ... And a more well rounded fish population.

What I have :

A 56 gallon column tank. I like the visual proportions but the stand is as high as a table so working in the tank is very difficult. I get up on a stool and still end up with scraped and bruised forearms. It seems tricky to light, too (24" deep).

White sand substrate with some brown gravel mixed in. I feel the white helps reflect some light and I like the look but yeh it's inert.

A beautiful piece of driftwood with a "cave" the angelfish loves, but is getting too tall for (I'd love to somehow use rocks to make it taller?)

Some rocks that were white but are now black, they're too rough for Otos to clean.

Super lush Java ferns, anubias ... Vals sending out runners in unfortunate places ... Struggling crypts and swords. Bare spots and over full spots. And freaking vals right up front.

2 canister filters that each are rated for 50 gallons.

2 Marineland led lights, the little ones that are $25 each. And indirect sunlight (8' from 4th floor window facing west).

After 2 years the stock has diminished to -

1 young angelfish (a local angelfish keeper wants him for her 100 gal species tank)

2 rosy tetras (similar to candy canes)

5 danios

5 glowlight neons

4 Pygmy striped loaches (teeny tiny things)

6 harlequin rasboras

1 or 2 Otos (2 years in the tank!!)

... And an upcoming 6 weeks with no kid in the house and some extra time and money.

I'd love to rehome everyone and sell the equipment and start fresh and intentional, but that feels wrong, especially as my aging PetSmart tetras and rasboras are fading and dying off.

Sent from my iPhone with three hands tied behind my back.

If someone will give me the link to become a site supporter I'll post pics!! I can't ever find the subscription spot when I look for it.

Hmmm ... Maybe get a cheap 55 gallon, set it up on the floor (on 2x4s), everyone can live there for 6 weeks while I remodel?

If someone will give me the link to become a site supporter I'll post pics!! I can't ever find the subscription spot when I look for it.

In full web go to 'your control panel' on left side. Then down to 'miscellaneous - paid subscriptions' (almost at very bottom).

Information on subscription and yearly fee should show up there. Feel free to PM on any questions as I took out membership a few years back.

I do think tanks 2ft or greater in depth are harder for planted tanks. If I did it all again a tank 6ft long but 1.5ft high would be my preference (er, still keeping the old tank of course!). Much easier to light and work on.

Yeah I love the 18" front to back, because the tank looks great from all sides, but the height is difficult.

A lower stand perhaps ...

Yeah I love the 18" front to back, because the tank looks great from all sides, but the height is difficult.

A lower stand perhaps ...

Yes, next tank I'm going to look at stand heights more carefully as well (and probably throw it all out of the window and get the biggest I can buy but at least I'll have thought about it :) ).

Yes, next tank I'm going to look at stand heights more carefully as well (and probably throw it all out of the window and get the biggest I can buy but at least I'll have thought about it :) ).

Yeaaaahhhhhh .... I ended up going from a 29 to a 56 because I was shopping for a new stand for the 29, the guy delivered it, it was too used, and when I asked to trade it back he felt bad and offered me an entire used 56 kit. I KNEW it was too tall but ...

Back
Top Bottom