Xmas moss

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Demonknight

Aquarium Advice Freak
So i ordered some Xmas moss off of ebay (probably not the best way of getting some) and it took almost 2 weeks to get here and it looked like this. Now is this a normal look for moss?...at first I thought roots, but moss doesn't have "roots" correct?..or am I just being picky?

Oh yeah..rinsed it out real good and put it in a fish bowl with just clean water and a few drops of plant food in it...set the led light from my cycling 10 gallon on top to see if it re-greens for me

Yeah my Christmas moss was a little brown just pick out the nastiest parts and don't bunch it up too tight and it should come back. As long as there some green it should come back.

good to hear..I gently tried to pull it apart a bit to give it some "breathing" room... another question, do snails have the same issue with copper as shrimp?...I would hate to put this in my shrimp tank just to kill them all off..and killing a snail rather than a shrimp would bother me less *LOL*

I'm not 100% positive bit I belive it affects all inverts you could post the question in the inverts section.

I'm curious, where is the copper coming from? But yes, copper will affect all inverts in a tank.

I bought a bag of christmas moss that looked worse than that from freezing. It got growing really well and has grown at least 7 - 8x as large as it was when I bought it in the past 5 months.

There was a warning that plants coming in from Asia have been known to be sprayed on another forum, not sure I can cross link but heres a quote from it

It has become apparent that some aquatic plants may be treated with pesticides that may cause shrimp fatalities.

In summary it is suspected that some plants imported from Asia may pose a risk. This is due to the majority being grown outdoors in an environment that may be highly populated with pests.

Although by UK law, imported plants are not allowed to be treated with pesticides, the overwhelming anecdotal evidence suggests these plants are being treated.

So better off safe than sorry.

Wow, thats crazy that they would do that. Hmm. I would let it sit in a lighted bucket or something for a week and then test for copper.

Back
Top Bottom