Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Planted Tanks
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-30-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

yellow-ing plants (rookie)

First time ever using plants in an aquarium. Im not sure if this matters, but Im 2 weeks into a fish-in cycle w/5 Serpae Tetras (45G tank)

Originally I was just using the stock fluorescent bulb and liquid supplement (Flourish).
Within a couple days I noticed some of them starting to turn yellow on the tips and edges. After a week and a half the yellowing got worse, they all seemed limp and I even pulled one of them out it looked so bad.

A couple days ago I replaced the bulb with one made for plants and placed some root tabs into the substrate as well. I also reduced the amount of light from 12hrs to 9hrs.
Already they are starting to look better. Raising upward instead of limp and the greens are greener. The yellow parts remain, however.

My question is this: Will the yellow parts recover given time, or should I trim them out?

Im sure the question of what kind of plants I have is sure to come up. I have no idea. Most of them came in those plastic tubes you find in the big box pet stores. If they had names on them I either couldnt find them or didnt bother to look. At the time I thought it didnt matter. If I could do it over I would. I found a specialty LFS not far from me that had around a dozen large tanks with nothing but plants and girl I spoke to seemed informed about them. Future plants will be purchased more selectively.

Old 03-30-2013, 11:37 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Could you post pictures, or describe the plants?Most often the plants in the tubes aren't used to being fully aquatic.

Old 03-31-2013, 12:47 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

I will try to get some pics up around this time tomorrow.
I went to LiveAquaria.com and Petsmart.com to compare some pictures. Not sure why I didnt think of doing this before.

Most of them are very thin and long... like long blades of grass.
LiveAquaria had something called Spiralis that looked almost identical. Petsmart website has something called Green Mondo Grass.

A couple have a typical leaf shape to them with a white-ish border along the outside. Could not find anything similar on LiveAquaria. Petsmart calles it a Ribbon Plant.

A couple have 7-8" stems with multiple small leaves from top to bottom, some of the leaves are green and some a purplish-red. LiveAquaria had a plant called Moneywort that looked similar except it was all green and did not have any of the purple-red leaves.

Looking at LiveAquaria I would describe a couple as Anubias Congensis, though the stems seem longer on the ones in my tank. Petsmart had one that was much closer to looking like the one I had, but it was just listed as Assorted Anubias.

I could not find anything similar on LiveAquaria for the last one, but Petsmart has one called a Java Fern that looks almost the same. These actually have some dark brown to black splotches on them that developed after being placed in my aquarium.

As I said, I'll try to get some pictures up, but I hope these descriptions can help you help me in the meantime.
Old 03-31-2013, 12:58 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Yahoo to DanTheGuppyMan Send a message via Skype™ to DanTheGuppyMan
Both mondo grass and ribbon plant are not fully aquatic, probably why they are doing so bad. Petsmart sells a type of ludwigia or rotala in its emersed form which may be the taller purplish plant. You probably have Anubis nana, my petsmart sells that alot and it has longer stems than my other anubias. Petsmart also sells java fern windelov and regular, sometimes needle leaf, but All the same primarily.
----------------AquaScaping Styles - Which style fits you?--------------
DanTheGuppyMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 11:49 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Good to know. Oddly enough, the Ribbon plants seems to be fairing the best of all of them (for now). At least if/when they do start having issues I'll have an idea why.

Tags
plant, plants

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com