Yes another, Do I need Fertilizer Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So here is my story:

I'm pretty new to the hobby, started my 29 gallon planted aquarium less than 2 weeks ago. Its been a few days since my first planting and stuff is definitely growing!

Here is my setup.

Light : 2 x 24 Watts Zoo-Med Aquasun T5HO about 20-22 inches above the substrate. According to the PAR data, this puts me at "high" light, but considering the poor quality of my reflector, I am under the assumption that this is actually "medium" light.

Co2 : I am planning to dose Excel. Trying to avoid a pressurized co2 system if at all possible, cost is not the issue. It is for purely aesthetic reasons as I don't want any extra equipment around my aquarium.

Substrate : 2 bags of Eco-complete Red mixed with a bag of fluorite. Mixed for color variation and no other reason.

Nutrients: I'm currently only using Seachem's flourish, which covers most of my micros.

My temperatures are generally around 79 F, PH at around 7-7.5.

My Bioload is as follows:

10 Rasbora
1 Pearl Gourami
6 Kuhli Loaches
4 Yo-Yo Loaches

The Questions

1. Do I have too much light for an excel only setup?

2. I am aware of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. I know I will probably have to inject some K, but are Nitrogen and Phosphorous necessary given my bioload and the available nitrates?

3. Is there an obvious algae situation here?

--

I see a lot of people dose dry ferts almost indiscriminately, and I am wondering if I should follow this strategy. My big thing is having to do a 50% water change every week, I would prefer to keep it at 20-25% max.

I guess my goal here is to create a balance between fish waste and plant consumption. Where nitrates/phosphorous from bio waste slowly rise and are taken up by the plants, thus creating an equilibrium, with as little outside (carbon/water/potassium are almost unavoidable) help as possible.

Here is a picture of my tank, planning to fill in the tank with some hairgrass, some blyxa, some more different hygros/lindernias later this week.

Any help would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    202.4 KB · Views: 108
1. Do I have too much light for an excel only setup?

I dont think so. Obviously, there are a lot of factors involved, but if you keep on top of your water changes and dont over-dose your ferts, I think you'll be fine

2. I am aware of the macro nutrients - Nitrogen, Phosphorous, and Potassium. I know I will probably have to inject some K, but are Nitrogen and Phosphorous necessary given my bioload and the available nitrates?
I've found somewhere between 10ppm and 20ppm nitrates to be the sweet spot for me. If your tank is staying that way without dosing, then there's no need. I think you will find, though, that once they get going, you'll need to dose a little N. K is also something that's important, but unless you start getting holes in the leaves and such, I doubt you'll need to dose it. Just wait on the dosing. I think the flourish, if it's comprehensive, will be fine... at least for now

3. Is there an obvious algae situation here?

It's a bit early to say.. but going off the two previous questions, I don't think so. Only time will tell, but I am pretty sure you're good to go

On a side note, very nice start :)

Thanks much for the input.

After scouring "the Barr report", never knew about the website until yesterday. What an amazing wealth of information!

There happens to be a common dosing method based around low/medium light and excel!

Essentially, it boils down to daily excel, and 1/8 kno3, 1/16 kh2po4 twice a week.

Along with your traces. Sounds really simple for a slow growth excel setup, and you can probably get away with biweekly water changes, since nitrate should be depleted by the plants.

I guess the thing to watch would be how quickly the nitrate levels are depleting and adjust the other nutrients according to that, e.g lower dose potassium nitrate = lower dose mono potassium phosphate.

Dry ferts in the mail, cant wait to see what happens!

To anyone that has not been to "the Barr report", google it, the website is awesome!

Back
Top Bottom