Yet another 40b Build thread.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I like you tank setup what all plants do you have? I know you have swords but what swords exactly?

I have rotala magenta, hygro balsamic, rotala indica, HC, xmas moss and a.renekii rosafolia ordered and should be here friday.

Yes, I'm excited. I'm taking a vacation day tomorrow so I'll be home when the plants come. I'll have all day stress free to work on the 40 as well as the 20g long. I've decided to plant some of the rotala indica and hygro balsamic in it and stock it with cpd and some neocardinia shrimp. Not sure which color morph yet but I'm leaning towards either rili or yellows.
Speaking of inverts, has anyone purchased from Msjinxed? I know this is slightly off topic but didn't want to start another thread in the invert section.

Well I came home from work today to a bunch of bnp fry in the 40. I knew the male was in that log for awhile now. I can't believe how big they are compared to others I've raised. This is a first for me!

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

It's a shame tho cuz they won't last long with the rams in there too. I may catch a few to put in the 20g.

I netted 3 of them and transferred over. I'm really bummed though, my plants didn't arrive today as planned. I tried the tracking # but then my phone froze so hopefully tomorrow? I wasted a vacation day for nothing. Well it wasn't a total waste, I did my pwc's and laundry a day early this week.
Some build thread this is turning out to be.
God willing I'll be back on track tomorrow.

That really sucks. If you PM me the tracking number and who it's through I can look it up for you.

The plants you did get look really good and once they acclimate and grow should give you some nice color. Shame all your plants didn't come in.

I had 3 plants not delivered and 2 were wrong but I'm trying to make the most of what I've got. Rotala indica, ludwigia repens, baby tear and a. reneckii along with sm. X-mas moss have been planted. The indica should have been ammania sp. Bonsai and the moss should have been regular not dwarf. I ordered dwarf hc also...

On the bright side though, L. Repens, moss, r. Indica and hc seem to be transitioning well so for now I'm just gonna let everything grow in and make some changes later. I can't see throwing away plants. Maybe this is a sign to setup another tank?
I have room in my 20g also.

At least having a 2nd tank you have the option to move plants you don't like into it. I've done that countless times (that's why I like having at least 1 other tank).

Looks great! (y) I have the same red plant as you, the one in the right underneath the taller ones. Sorry I forgot the name of it, hopefully you know the one I am talking about :lol:

Yes rivercats your absolutely right. Without the 20g I'd be up the proverbial creek w/out a paddle! My plan was to have the dwarf hc carpet with a well manicured dhg path down 1/3 of the tank at the right splitting the hc. I'd never seen that and wanted to try it. Im not sure where I'm taking this build from here. Any ideas will be well received!

Scottyhorse: the plant you were referring to is Ludwigia repens. I very much look forward to seeing it grow. Do you have any pics of yours? I've seen l.repens in other tanks. Beautiful when given the right conditions. I hope i can do mine justice.

There was just a thread talking about using both HC and DHG together and the problems that can arise. Mainly the two mixing. Have you thought about maybe trying Blyxa Japonica and using the HC for the path? Just a thought.

No I haven't. Do you know which one carpets tighter? Blyxa or hc?
I'll have to google B.japonica.
Thanks for the tip!
The thread you were referring to on hc and dhg, is the problem mainly because of them both being substrate runners?

Both those plants carpet tightly and the HC being almost flat would make a good path type effect. I love B. Japonica but it just doesn't fit in my scape and look right with the other plants I have.

They do both spread by runners but HC spreads above the substrate and DHG via runners under the substrate. So you can see how they would easily mix. Some talk about using plastic dividers but I could see the plants finding a way over or under them. You'd still have to watch the BJ but when it got too close to the HC with it's runners you could pull/cut them out. But again with it sending out runners in theory you could still run into issues of invasion.

One thing I wanted to ask earlier, I already have a api master fw test kit but would also like a phosphate test kit as I have no idea where my phosphates are at. Does api make just a phosphate test?
Once acquired and tested should I try for 1.0-1.5ppm?

Yes API makes one and that's what I use. I would shoot for 1.0ppm and run your tank on that for awhile and see how it does. If your not getting as much color as you want after 4-6 weeks when colored plants grow taller and closer to the light then try upping to 1.5ppm. But be sure to keep nitrates at 10ppm and no higher. You also might want to add just a touch more micro mix daily when you start upping your phophates.

Back
Top Bottom