Your fav bba removal method?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mebbid

Aquarium Advice Addict
Well, since I switched to high light, pps pro ferts, and pressurized co2 I've been getting a small amount of bba growth. My first in around 7 months :(

My question is, what is everyone's fav method of removing it? There are a large number of small spots most of which are on tank decor but its growing on my Vesuvius and narrow leaf temple as well. Spot treating is going to be a pita so I wondered if anyone had any luck with other methods.

I would remove as much as of the effected leaves as you can. Then the excel method works well you just need patience.

BBA Algae Info

HI Mebbid,
You may have already seen this but in case you haven't, I'm giving you the link. I'm not totally agreed with his fert theories but it does have some useful info. The types of algae and his evaluations of each is at the last half of the write up and may be useful to you. Good luck, OS.
Method of Controlled Imbalances Summary - Algae - Aquatic Plant Central

I have not had any luck killing black beard algae on my java ferns leaves and root systems. I take driftwood out of tank and spray with hydrogen peroxide let sit for 5 minutes than rinse off with water and place back in tank. Why is it not disappearing? I have cut back on light too

I have not had any luck killing black beard algae on my java ferns leaves and root systems. I take driftwood out of tank and spray with hydrogen peroxide let sit for 5 minutes than rinse off with water and place back in tank. Why is it not disappearing? I have cut back on light too
I just scrapped 2 java ferns, all my other plants shook bba with excel, 5 hr light period and trimming affected areas, the java ferns would not let it go, I threw them in a bucket of tank water, I'll give them a week in there and see if they're worthy of gifting to my friend..

I just have too much light and am having difficulty getting my pressurized CO2 to function properly.

I just scrapped 2 java ferns, all my other plants shook bba with excel, 5 hr light period and trimming affected areas, the java ferns would not let it go, I threw them in a bucket of tank water, I'll give them a week in there and see if they're worthy of gifting to my friend..

Really? You couldn't get it off the java ferns?

HI Mebbid,
You may have already seen this but in case you haven't, I'm giving you the link. I'm not totally agreed with his fert theories but it does have some useful info. The types of algae and his evaluations of each is at the last half of the write up and may be useful to you. Good luck, OS.
Method of Controlled Imbalances Summary - Algae - Aquatic Plant Central

Thanks for the link, I've seen it before but it was forever ago and I forgot it existed :)

Try upping your CO2 and shortening your photoperiod. It took quite some time to get my 220g rebalanced after adding a BML fixture to the big Metal halide/T5HO one that was already on the tank. You also might find using Glut along with the CO2 to be beneficial. I do this in the 220g.

I have always found 3ml of H2O2 to every 1g of water to be the best to use on BBA. Be sure to turn filters off and leave them off 20 minutes during treatment. Then after the H2O2 treatment is done go ahead and dose your Glut amount for the day. I still use 6 ounces of Glut daily along with the CO2 in the 220.

I am currently running my lights for 6 hours daily and I kept up with 30ml daily of excel I used before adding the pressurized CO2. I just tried putting glass lids on the tank to see if that would knock down the par just a little while keeping some of the CO2 in. We will see how the tank reacts with that. I'm also increasing the ferts just a little bit.

I have the same issue but mainly on my baby anubia. It's a real pain in who-ha! Like River said the h2o2 trick never fails to work. I just had another bought with it that I am currently fighting in my 37g go figure. I finally got it pretty much under control and then ever since I got sick and the tired from being preggo again I let my daily dosing slip and voila! BBA came to see me again! So use the h2o2 ad then dose the glut for a bit should clear it right up. I am finding that while it is a total PITA it's fairly easy to treat if you don't let it get out of control.

Back
Top Bottom