Ziggy's 40b Planted Journey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello there all you plant lovers!

I have a 54g corner that is heavily planted (CO2, high light ect) but I'm not thrilled with it. I've been a REEFER for years now and decided to take down the SW tank and move over to FW planted full time. I have a brand new 40b that is sitting on the stand I build for the reef system waiting to be filled.

I have a general idea of what I want to do and thought what better than to document it as I have done with all of my SW tanks over the last 10 years.

Those of you who know me know that I fill my thread with pics and what I'm doing how I'm doing it and why. I'm not the conventional aquarist and tend to push the envelop as often and as much as possible in my tanks.

For a little background -

I custom built my stand - 40x24x40 (LWH) - Canopy - 40x24x12 (LWH)
Custom built LED light - 42 3w Cree LEDs (all controlled by a RKE)

For pics and more info on how I built the above see (Ziggy's Nano Build)

I have decided to use Brightwell Aquatics FlorinVolcanit Plant Substrate (Rio Escuro) as my substrate however I have also ordered ADA Power Sand to use as a base to the substrate. Right now I have 35lbs of substrate with the intention to order more.

My intention is to bank the substrate up very high on the back left side of the tank and slightly less high on the back right side of the tank. I am going to combine rock and wood as hardscape as well as incorporate a sand area to draw interest and offer an unplanted area of the tank.

I have not decided on plants or fish as yet. I would like the focus of the tank to be more on the aquascape as opposed to the fish/shrimp.

I've ordered glass Lily Pipes. I have everything needed for CO2 already just need to exchange my tank.

As soon as my image host straightens out my account I will upload and post pics of the current setup...the empty tank that is.

Much much more to come...

So the tank is water tested, lights have been programmed, stand has been cleaned and inside has been repainted.

Tomorrow I am going to collect some of the rock for my hardscape. Not a whole lot to report at this point, I'm going to be out of town next week for work so hopefully when I get home all the stuff I have ordered will be here waiting for me.

Stay tuned...

A few pics -

NL4w0bw.jpg

cLJ0Rtf.jpg

LEk5gAk.jpg

xzIyUEG.jpg

Q8hig48.jpg

6m14tbQ.jpg

YVSFxg4.jpg

TopDoij.jpg

Well...

I don't know what the substrate is but it looks official!

I like the programmed lights too... Following

Things are beginning...

vYmpEdl.jpg

c06Y6Um.jpg

DbpDRa1.jpg

This is 30lbs of substrate. The space in the middle is for sand that will remain unplanted. I have 20lbs more substrate to add to this after the rock and other hardscape elements are put in the tank. For a first step I think I like what it looks like so far.

Well...

I don't know what the substrate is but it looks official!

I like the programmed lights too... Following

Welcome aboard!

I've never used this substrate before, I've read good and bad things about it much like any other substrate out there. Planted systems are not my specialty but I'm going to fake it ;).

I think it's looks really nice. What country are you in? I'm always curious about other products from around the world.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Changed things a little already and I'm sure I will change them again when the rock and wood gets added...

9mEN6kR.jpg

kXhs3xL.jpg

3mWhCJc.jpg

Comments?

Ha! Baltimore. Where did you find this exotic substrate? I've never seen it before and what made you chose it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

That looks awesome! It looks to me like the border might need to be taller but I have no experience with this kind of stuff.

The trail looks good. It will add depth to the tank. What hardscape are you planning on using? It's also a good idea to use substrate supports (any thin plastic pieces, I've used dvd covers) to keep your strate in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Bmore!
I know a few AA member that have used Brightwell Aquatics' substrates (BrianNano12, Brookster123, Tiger Terror). You could contact them to see what effects these substrates have on water chemistry and plant growth.
You can cut those thin, plastic, flexible cutting boards into the desired shape and use them as substrate borders. This will help keep the substrates from shifting into each other and the plants from spreading into the "forbidden zone".

Ha! Baltimore. Where did you find this exotic substrate? I've never seen it before and what made you chose it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Dr. Fosters & Smith is where I ordered it from. I had never heard of it before either, I did a lot of reading about it and it is very similar to ADA Aquasoil. I wanted to use ADA but I also did not feel like spending that much money just on the substrate. This was a decent alternative.

The trail looks good. It will add depth to the tank. What hardscape are you planning on using? It's also a good idea to use substrate supports (any thin plastic pieces, I've used dvd covers) to keep your strate in place.

Thank you!

I am going to use rock and wood, I am actually going to collect the rock today from a local source. It looks very much like Seiryu stone.

I have the same material used in substrate supports (plastic corrugate) and will put them in after the rock goes in. I intend to bank the substrate up higher on the left side of the tank. The small island on the right will remain small and offer a balance to the opposite side of the tank.

Bmore!
I know a few AA member that have used Brightwell Aquatics' substrates (BrianNano12, Brookster123, Tiger Terror). You could contact them to see what effects these substrates have on water chemistry and plant growth.
You can cut those thin, plastic, flexible cutting boards into the desired shape and use them as substrate borders. This will help keep the substrates from shifting into each other and the plants from spreading into the "forbidden zone".

Thanks for the tip. I have talked to Tiger, actually pm'd him and got some info on the substrate. I have also talked to others from different sites, all had about the same comments. The only real drawback I have heard about the substrate is that it tends to move around a bit. I have a plan for that.

Just found your thread man! I'll definitely be following and thanks for the billion snails and coral today. Sad to see you leaving the reefing side but I'm sure this tank will be epic!

Back
Top Bottom