Ziggy's Ridiculous 10g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ziggy953

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey there fishy friends!

I have not been active on here in ages and I have so missed the community. I hope all of you are doing well and have navigated the crazy that has been our world these past few years.

Sadly all the tanks I once had I left behind in a recent move (relocated to NJ). The 40B (FW) was given to a friend of mine put it to good use. All the other tanks I could not get people to come get them for free so they went to the curb. I have no idea if anyone picked them up or not.

So now that I have settled (temporarily in an apartment) here in NJ, I am itching to put up a small tank. In true Ziggy style I went as overboard as I possibly could. Picked up a 10g tank (about as big as I want to deal with in this place) and changed my mind about 50 times what I was going to do. Started out as a simple Walstad low tech tank and has now morphed into a super ultra high-tech tank with a freaking Radion XR15 G5. I figured since I have all this high-tech stuff laying around might as well use it right?

Any way, lots of fun stuff coming. All the crap I have ordered for a 10g tank that cost $29 is a little ridiculous but what are you going to do?

Its good to be back and I look forward to chatting with you guys again!

That is a quick recap and copy from my "Hello again" thread. Things for the 10g are starting to arrive so I thought it would be a good idea to get this going.

I will take pics and post progress ect as usual.

Ziggy

Please post photos of your progress! I’d love to see them!

This weekend has been eventful. Made my first time visit to the LFS (recently relocated to S. Jersey) and was pleased. The staff was friendly and knowledgeable. I received many deliveries. I have forgotten how to buy for a small tank, so as you would expect I went overboard.

Here is the breakdown as of right now:
- 10g tank
- Radion XR15 G5
- RMS XR15 Mounting system
- Radion Diffuser
- 50w heater
- Cheap HOB (will likely replace with something else)
- Pressurized CO2 Kit
- 50lbs of Seiryu Stone
- Large assortment of driftwood
- ADA Power Sand S
- ADA Aquasoil Amazonia Powder Type

Clearly I will not be using all the soil, rock or wood but I have an assortment to choose from as I build the scape. I still need to get a few things before I start the build, most of which are tools and things I do not feel like digging out of my storage unit. I have a few more deliveries coming today from Amazon. I think some more driftwood and the film for the back of the tank. I got both black and frosted, not sure which I will use.

Pics as of now in the next post:

The very basic 10g tank

pneW4a5Zj

Don't mind the color of the water or the wood in there. Just letting it soak. Yes this tank will be sitting on my countertop. Likely at an angle just to the right of where it is now.

Some of the goodies

pmOUuYDij

More of the goodies

poTfueRqj

That's about all for the moment. I have other miscellaneous things here and there but not important. Bucket, maxi-jet things like that. You get the idea. I will take lots of pics as I build and will probably film some of it for the YouTube channel.

More to come . . .

Stay fresh!

Looking good! I can’t wait for more photos!

More coming soon. The last of the things I was waiting for to start the scape have arrived. I have been boiling the DW and the rocks have all been cleaned off. Looks like my afternoon maybe dedicated to building out this scape.

I installed the light. Holy crap is this thing cool!

pmjrg0yXj

poi1hZH5j

pm27IjlVj

So I got the power sand and the aquasoil in. The scape is in as well not 100% on it so I am leaving it like this for a few days to see if I like it.

Thougts?

pmpHiG0Bj

poby8sObj

posVHnqSj

Still undecided on the plants. I will do something carpeting on the lower area upfront likely dwarf HG, I want to do some moss and other plants on the wood, still thinking though.

Love that driftwood, never had any myself. Where did you get it?

Like the stones and DW. Is there a way to try out your DW on the left to move up to that next indent /crease of your stone so it looks like it's growing along and up the stone? You can superglue, use some sandy soil from the substrate to cover the superglue as it tends to turn white.⁶

Last edited:
Radians on a freshwater tank?!?! I didn’t realize ecotech made a grow light for freshwater. Going all out, I like it

Like the stones and DW. Is there a way to try out your DW on the left to move up to that next indent /crease of your stone so it looks like it's growing along and up the stone? You can superglue, use some sandy soil from the substrate to cover the superglue as it tends to turn white.⁶

I will try and see what it looks like.

Thanks, Ziggy. Amazon is my fave. But weren’t you saying something about boiling it? It does not come tank ready?

Thanks, Ziggy. Amazon is my fave. But weren’t you saying something about boiling it? It does not come tank ready?

Even if it came tank ready I would still boil it. Just a precaution to kill of anything that may be on the wood and to help it get waterlogged.

Thanks again for the solid info, Ziggy. I’ve seen driftwood along the shores of a Great Lake near me, but I think it’s strictly illegal to take so much as a grain of sand from that beach. Wonder if I could call someone & asks about the wood.

Quick update and Pics

Nothing has really changed although I did take this suggestion -
Is there a way to try out your DW on the left to move up to that next indent /crease of your stone so it looks like it's growing along and up the stone?

Turned out pretty good! Thank you Autumnsky!

I still have not decided on the plants for the tank. I want to do a carpet along the front glass, and will likely use dwarf HG there. beyond that I have not made up my mind.

I will stock with fish that stay nice and small and shrimp, haven't decided that either.

Anyway - Here are some pics.

pn9p30Pwj

pnXk1LjVj

poiLwCubj

pmeN9Oeij

Back
Top Bottom