Flame Angel - Centropyge loriculus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Any thoughts on this, through my reading I thought Flames were more submissive rather then aggressive.

Great post, only one problem.....now I want a Flame Angel.....oh well, I think I'm already maxed out in my 38G. I have a 29G BioCube, but with all the LR in there, not a whole lot of room for something that size to weave in and out. Hmm, I don't think I'm ready to go for a 4th SW tank quite yet.

I really want one of these, but I have a 16 gallon reef tank with 2 small ocellaris clowns and a diamond goby, and there just isn't enough space. For sure if I ever get a 50 gal or something. They are an awesome fish.

Time for a bigger tank, my dwarf angelfish do a lot of swimming and cover the entire reef. I would think a 55 would be a minimum. My flame is over 10 years old and has been a model citizen, so has a very old coral beauty. I have a black tail that needs to go as he likes to peck at corals.

I love my flame , I think he is one of if not my fav fish for marine aquarium ( under 120 gallon ) . Mine is so chill, just swimming in and out of the rock work all day nipping away. Him and my clarkie clown swim together a lot and for 2 " semi - aggressive " fish I think it's awesome . No coral nipping what so ever. I've also had mine for over a month. No signs of any health issues what so ever. Color is great .

Attachments

• image-2638834794.jpg
    image-2638834794.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 648
I have had 2 flame angels in the past and both have died within a week. I have a 55 gal FOWLR and at the time the tank only contained 2 banggai cardinals.
They both went through the same basic process. Both started out looking fine, swimming around cautiously checking out the tank, it took them both a couple of days to get settled and both appeared to be eating around the 3rd day of adding them to the tank. I was feeding them frozen mysis and had algae clipped to the side of the tank for them. A couple of days later they would start spending alot of time at the surface and wouldn't eat. Around the 7th day they were both dead. This has happened on 2 separate occasions.
I went back to the LFS with a water sample and told them what had happened and they were very perplexed. The water tested after both deaths was fine.
Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - 0
Nitrates - less than 10
And ph of 8.2

I was wondering if I was doing something wrong or if it could be the LFS. I would hate for it to happen again. I always feel so bad when my fish die and they are kind of expensive.

Did you do a slow drip acclimation over a four hour period?

I have had a flame angel for about a month now and recently the flame has been messing with the only two other fish in the tank, two false perculas. I don't see any damage to them but definitley pestering them and now they remain in the top of the water column. Any suggestions.

How big is the tank as I had one in 125 ltr and would chase few of my fish and think he made my goby jump but have upgraded to 300 ltr and no more chasing

had 2, lost them both within a week or so after putting into tank. both came from same store and needless to say i wont buy from them again. way to similar to the cyanide deaths i hear about.

I had one from petco and it died they wanted to say i drip aclimated it to long and stressed the fish out which i only did for an hour and a half going to get another one from my local fish store

Is a biocube 29 big enough looking for him to be the centerpiece of my almost cycled tank

a 29 g tank for a dwarf angel (all types) is a death sentence so the answer is NO
they are very active fish and swim constantly
the recommended tank size has changed in the past 2 years it used to be 30g or larger but since than it has been changed to 70g or larger as they are very active fish
here is the recommendations of live aquaria

60069-albums10662-picture67018.png

D2BoDkLBjeXvAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

D2BoDkLBjeXvAAAAAElFTkSuQmCC

I have both a coral beauty and a flame angel they are a hardy fish but at the same time they can be fragile fish !!
Let me explain :

1) they don't do well in newly established tanks as there isn't enough algae to graze on along with other inhabitants such as pods

2) acclimation must be done so not to cause any stress as they are very temperamental with the slightest change in all parameters

3) dwarfs are known not to eat when introduced to a new tank and the death rate is in the 90% range from starvation

4) dwarfs enjoy live macro algae to snack on red grape/green grape seem to be there favorite , they will munch on other macros both red and green also but I find they lean more toward the grape macros , they will eat nori but they don't seem as enthused with it as live macro,
the problem is most don't like to grow live macros in the main tank

And with the rock sand and water in the back chambers the display probably has ~20 gallons

Back
Top Bottom