Lionfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fluff

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by Fluff

Lionfish

Common Names: Volitan, Antennata, Radiata, Dwarf Zebra, Fuzzy Dwarf, Fu Manchu (not an all inclusive list, just the more commonly found names in the hobby species)

Scientific Names: Pterois volitans; Dendrochirus brachypterus, D. zebra

Family: Scorpaenidae

Origin: Found in tropical waters of the Pacific Ocean and the Red Sea at depths of 10-200 feet.

Main Ecosystem: Marine

Salinity: specific gravity 1.020-1.025

Temperament: Peaceful (so long as its tank mates are larger than its mouth) and somewhat shy depending on the fish.

Diet: Carnivore

Care:
Water quality and filtration are extremely important. Large filter systems, protein skimmers and large water changes will help to keep ammonia and nitrites low. Be careful to not overfeed. This is a huge part of the water issues with these fishes.

Tank size is a bit of a debate - the bigger the tank the better. I think 30-40 gallons may be appropriate for a Dendrochirus, while an adult Pterois would need no less than 75 gallons, but preferably larger. After all, this fish can attain lengths of up to 12"+. Lionfishes, even though they aren't very active, need space. They will not thrive without room to move, places to hide where they can feel protected, and large volumes of water to provide adequate oxygen and dilution of waste. The tank should have plenty of liverock or caves to give the lions a place to hide and feel secure.

The lionfish is a carnivorous fish, with a diet consisting of shrimp and fish. When first attaining your lionfish, it may be necessary to start them out on live food to get them to eat and to give them time to get comfortable in their new surroundings. Goldfish are not a good steady diet for lionfish for several reasons. They're nutritionally deficient, inconvenient, expensive, and may make your lion aggressive. Lionfish can and should be trained to accept better foods. Freshwater prey items will lead to the early death of your lionfish. Ailments caused by FW feeders can include symptoms like vision failure, or the lion may appear to be unable to swallow the old familiar prey as if they have a "lump" in their throat (goiter, swollen thyroid). Chalk it up to dietary deficiencies or inadequacies (like thiamin deficiency induced by a staple of feeder goldfish) taking its toll over time. You should offer a wide variety of fresh or thawed-frozen meats, and dry or other prepared foods when possible, and gut-loaded live prey if absolutely necessary. It is a myth that they will only eat live food. Once acclimated, they will greedily take frozen, fresh, freeze-dried and prepared rations of all kinds - silversides, krill, shrimp, crabs and even crickets. Avoid oily, greasy foods. When feeding, use a feeding stick or acrylic rod and move the offered food in front of the lion. If it is not accepted, remove the food for another day. Do not worry if your lion goes on a food strike of a few days or longer. If the fish is in good health, it will not suffer ill effects from not eating for a couple days. A new specimen that continues to refuse dead food may need to be weaned with live first. Try guppies or a live bait shrimp placed in front of the lion (when getting my new lions to eat, I used guppies gutloaded with cyclops-eeze). Once the lion is eating, it should easily graduate to non-live foods. Lions need to be fed only once a week - two or three times a week is the maximum. Food size is important. Due to their gulping nature, it is not uncommon for a lionfish to attempt to swallow prey that is too large and die in the process. Lionfish are known for trying to eat fish nearly the same size as themselves, sometimes with success, other times not, so it's important to consider size of the tankmates before purchasing. The use of a feeding stick is a great tool for training your lion to accept raw foods.

Lionfish tend to hide most of the day under rock ledges. My personal experience indicates that once the fish gets accustomed to you, it will come out more often during daylight hours. They hide during the brightest hours of the day. Lionfish like to rest upside-down in caves. Low lighting is preferred and can be attained by low output fluorescents. If you use metal halides, be sure to offer a dark corner. Glaring lights have been implicated in lion "blindness".

Lionfishes generally don't show territorial behavior and will peacefully co-exist with their own kind and other lionfish species. Triggers, puffers and large angels are fish to be watched as potential nipping threats to your lionfish. Lionfish are easy-going with anything they can't inhale, but they do have remarkably large mouths. Damsels, cardinals, clownfish, shrimps and other non-attached inverts will most certainly be engulfed sooner or later. Also there is the potential that a lionfish may sting their tankmates with their long spines in the crowded confines of an aquarium. Fishes may swim or become spooked into the spines of a lionfish. Erratic swimming, twitching, and sudden death will usually occur within thirty minutes of an effective sting.

Lions are considered "reef safe" with caution. They don't pose any threat to your sessile inverts but any decorative shrimps, crabs, etc. are likely to become snacks.

Lionfish are venomous, not poisonous. This means that they are toxic to the touch. Poisoning generally comes from ingestion. Lionfish are dangerous to handle alive or dead. The sting of a lionfish must be taken seriously. Swelling, soreness, localized pain, respiratory and cardiac distress and other collateral shock manifestations go with these events. Ringing your local poison center and immersing the site with water as hot as you can tolerate are immediate emergency actions to take. Most sting victims recover quickly without treatment but have to suffer hours of pain that typically leave a lifelong impression and respect for these fish. It should go without saying that you should NEVER take your eyes off these fishes when your hands are in their aquarium. They can “sneak up” on what they perceive as a threat and inflict a painful wound in seconds. Performing routine maintenance like scraping algae is risky since you could bump the venomous spines. A second set of eyes watching your lionfish is a good rule to follow when doing any tank maintenance.

Lionfish have the ability to shed their skin to remove irritants like ich or other parasites. Coughing and shaking are also common during the shedding process.

ph: 8.1-8.4

Temperature: 72-78 degrees fahrenheit

Potential size: The Pterois are considered the "true" full-sized lions. Dendrochirus are more often sold as "dwarf" lions.
Pterois can grow to about a foot and a half; Dendrochirus species are approximately 6 inches in total length when full grown.

Water Region: All levels.

Activity: Most active right before sun up and right before sun down.

Lifespan: 10+ yrs.

Color: Browns, white, black, yellows and reds.

Mouth: Large.

Acclimation: Slow acclimation is best over a period of 1-2 hours. Slowly add tank water every 15-20 minutes.

Breeding: To date, as far as I can find out, there has been no successful captive breeding of lionfish.

Comments:
Lionfishes are great fish - just try to remember three points:

1. They are venomous - respect their spines and keep your distance.

2. They are practically indestructible, except for being victims of the aquarist's tendency to overfeed them, particularly with feeder goldfish.

3. Their water quality quickly degrades with overcrowding and/or inadequate filtration.

Sources:
The Conscientious Marine Aquarist
Wetwebmedia.com
amonline.net
reefkeeping online magazine

is there a lionfish that would do ok in a 29gal, if it is by itself, or with one or two other small fish? just curious. That is our qt for the biocube right now, and will be either a fowlr or goldfish, big difference, no decision...it would be at least a year from now before the biocube is done, and another 3-6 mos before we put anything in it...

Last edited:
IMO. There should something stated in here to try and get a lion that's wild caught from Caribbean. As they catch and kill them there as an invasive fish. My LFS only sells these guy.

Really cool fish and easy to care for. Needs some room to move around. As mentioned, buy Caribbean as they are a real pest there.

Attachments

• image-2734145975.jpg
    image-2734145975.jpg
    8.8 KB · Views: 4,334
"Peaceful (so long as its tank mates are larger than its mouth) and somewhat shy depending on the fish" -- peaceful, yes very, tank mates need to be larger than its mouth? Umm, you'd best come have a talk with my adult Lion then because him and his Tomato Clown tankmate are having a forbidden relationship!

"Goldfish are not a good steady diet for lionfish for several reasons. They're nutritionally deficient, inconvenient, expensive, and may make your lion aggressive." -- in one sense you are right, they are nutritionally deficient, if fed as a sole diet, however, they are not inconvenient, expensive (don't know where you got that one from, I buy 7 fish for $1....), may make my lion aggressive???? Wait, what???? Where did you get this info from???

Ok, so obviously, you do not own a Lionfish, you just posted something here that you found off the internet...

Honestly, do FULL research and have a little bit of experience behind you, BEFORE you go posting stuff you don't know about.

They come out of the box aggressive. They are pure predators. If they can eat it, they will try. Their tank mates just need to be big enough that it doesn't happen.
They like a live fish every now and then, but frozen silver sides do just fine as well. And are easier as they don't shed scales when eaten like goldfish do.
Other than that, they like to watch you, like trigger fish. And yes, I have been on dives in their native habitat and raised a red one for many years. That was him in my post picture. But anything smaller than his big mouth was food.

Maybe its just me. But I would not call them aggressive at all. I would not call just eating aggressive. They are just trying to eat. They can only eat what you let them by putting that fish in the tank. If a lionfish picked at something or was out top sting something I would call that aggressive. I don't know many lions that do that.

Depends on your point of view doesn't it? If you were a goldfish in his tank...he would seem pretty aggressive. No, they won't bite your hand in the tank like a clown fish will.

Lumis said:
Maybe its just me. But I would not call them aggressive at all. I would not call just eating aggressive. They are just trying to eat. They can only eat what you let them by putting that fish in the tank. If a lionfish picked at something or was out top sting something I would call that aggressive. I don't know many lions that do that.

What does "aggressive" mean? Something that can screw up millions of miles of ocean ecosystems, that seems aggressive...

Ocne again not lionfishes fault. Lions are brought here by people. They are just trying to live. They did not swim here to mess with the echo system. So I see no aggression there.

To me aggressive means they will pick on other fish just for the fact they can, they pick on fish for territory or because he does not want the competition. If I have a full grown lion toss a small clown in my tank. The lion eating it is not aggression. Its,just eatting dinner.

I just got a 8" lion and I havnt been able to get it to eat yet it's been a week should I be concerned and it was eating frozen silversides what should I do to get it to eat beutiful fish and mine is really shy it spikes up everytime you get close to the tank but I'm sure he'll calm down

They are near sighted, so you need to dangle the food in front of them to get them to strike. They are amazingly fast, so use something to hold the food, like frozen silver sides on the end of some tweezers.

Something like bright yellow tweezers really help cuz they pick up on the yellow and can see it easily

Lumis said:
To me aggressive means they will pick on other fish just for the fact they can, they pick on fish for territory or because he does not want the competition. If I have a full grown lion toss a small clown in my tank. The lion eating it is not aggression. Its,just eatting dinner.

Yea I don't think just eating as aggressive I I think clowns are some are more aggressive

They are a bit dangerous to keep, but absolutely remarkable. With the plague of them in the Caribbean, the red voltans should be pretty cheap except they are a bit more expensive (especially the big ones) to ship. This is a smart fish. He will watch everything that goes on outside the tank.

They are fun fish but they make expensive meals out of smaller fish. One jumped out and I traded the other one, so I can start my reef. It's awsome watching them eat.

I really want to get a lionfish but I have a 55g tank with a tang, foxface, 2 clowns, 6line and a royal gramma. I dont think this is a good idea? Plus, I have a lot of rock, but I am not moving it around to give him a cave to hide in.

Back
Top Bottom