Zebra Moray Eel - Submitted by StripestheEel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jchillin

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by: StripesTheEel

Zebra Moray Eel - Gymnomuraena Zebra

Other Scientific Names: Echidna Zebra - formerly known as

Common Names: Zebra Moray Eel, Zebra Eel, Eel, Moray

Class: Actinopterygii (ray-finned fishes)

Order: Anguilliformes (eels, morays)

Family: Muraenidae

Origin: Indo-Pacific: Red Sea and East Africa, Hawaiian islands, Australia - Great Barrier Reef. Eastern Central Pacific, Mexico

Main Ecosystem: Marine

Salinity: 1.020 - 1.025

Temperment: Docile

Diet: Carnivore

Care: Molluscs, shrimp, crab meats. Do not feed silversides as they tend to contain alot of fatty acids. It is possible to do so, but not on a regular basis. May need to use a feeding stick until you become familiar with your eels personality. When food is present it may take on a more aggressive behavior. Eels do not eat on a daily basis. Feedings 1 or 2 times a week should be sufficient, and then only feed them as much as they will consume. From time to time this eel goes into what we describe as a "hybernation" period, often hiding and not eating for several weeks or so. A tight fitting lid is needed as some eels try to escape the tank due to their curious natures. May eat inverts but if kept well fed will be fine. Rockwork or a cave is recommend for eel to hide and feel safe. May use pvc piping to create this. A heavy waste producer, a skimmer is needed, or heavy water changes frequently. Is reef safe apart from the caution with inverts.

Tank Size: minimum 75gal, recommended 100gal. Length - 4 feet plus

ph: 8.1-8.4

Temperature: 72-78 degrees fahrenheit

Potential size: 3-4 feet in captivity. May reach a bigger size in the wild.

Water Region: Bottom dweller. Caves, reefs.

Activity: Nocturnal, more active during the evening.

Lifespan: Unknown at this stage, reported specimens of 20+ years.

Color: Chocolate brown with white stripes / Black with white stripes (like a zebra)

Mouth: Differs from other morays by having blunt, pebble-like grinding teeth (molars) with which they use to crush shelled invertebrate prey they feed on, primarily crabs, shrimps and molluscs.

Sexing: Unknown at this stage.

Acclimation: Drip method:

1) Float the bag in the tank for approximately 20-30 minutes (adjusts temperature)
2) Gently empty the bag into a 5 gallon bucket (make sure there is enough water for the fish)
3) Cover bucket with egg crate (prevents jumping/carpet surfing)
4) Run a piece of airline tubing from the quarantine tank to the bucket
5) Start siphon
6) Tie a knot in the tubing to control flow rate, adjust to 1-3 drops per second
7) Allow to drip until the bucket has 3-4 times as much water as when you started (should take a couple of hours)
8) Gently net fish and place in the quarantine tank

Breeding: Unknown.

Comments: My most loved and research marine inhabitant, eels are fantastic additions to a tank, if you can provide it with needs such as a large tank, appropriate hiding spaces and alot of attention. My zebra is a great guy, and has formed a symbiotic relationship with my 2 cleaner shrimp. I hand feed mine, as well as my snowflake moray eel and have never been bitten. I just cant say how much I love eels and their personalities.. GREAT creatures!!

eel.jpg

stripes.jpg

img0834.jpg

Sources:

http://animal-world.com/encyclo/marine/eels/zebramoray.php
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/zebramor.htm
http://species.fishindex.com/species_1495gymnomuraena_zebra_zebra_moray_eel_hawaii.html

looks good here is a pic of mine, he is getting big

Attachments

• 100_0073.jpg
    100_0073.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 711
I would love to get an eel! They are so cool. you don't have a problem with them eating your fish though? How long should your tank be running for one. I've only had my tank running for 6 months

I love my Eel. I have had mine for over 2 years now. I would say around 55gal or bigger. MIne was maybe almost 2ft when I bought him. The are great to watch. He always keep sand clean by weaving in an out of the rocks. As far as eating other fish I have had no problems with mine. The food has to be right in front of them. I have had one of my damsels come up missing, but I don't know weather it was the EEl or lionfish.

My Stripey lived six years in captivity. He grew from 26 to 39 inches. His diet consisted of frozen shrimp pieces, which could be hand fed. To keep them healthy I would inject a little vitamin concentrate into a couple of pieces each week. He was a favorite with the kids in the neighborhood. They all wanted to feed him a shrimp. The problem was that I could not keep crustaceans in the tank because he would eat them all. Despite his large size, I found that I could grow most soft corals in the 135 gallon tank without much trouble. I think this was because I had I had made a large plenum under the substrate and kept a fair amount of live sand piled up in the corner of the sump. He was such a favorite that I adopted his name as mine for this forum.

how do I take care of a spiny sea urchin, it has purple tips and has these little white round things on it.

Back
Top Bottom