German Blue Ram - by JChillin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reefrunner69

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted by Jchillin

German Blue Ram – Mikrogeoghagus Ramirezi

Synonyms: Apistogramma ramirezi, Microgeophagus ramirezi, Papilochromis ramirezi

Common Names: Balloon Ram, Butterfly Cichlid, Golden Ram, Singapore Ram

Category: Cichlids

Family: Cichlidae

Origin: Columbia

Main Ecosystem: River

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperment: Very shy. Can become territorial during breeding.

Diet: Omnivore

Care: Feed a variety of foods, including a good flake or pellet as a staple and the occasional fresh or frozen treat. A planted tank with dense foliage is preferred; however, artificial plants are also good. Rocks, such as slate or other elongated structures, are also recommended.

ph: 5.0 - 7.5

Temperature: 77°F - 84°F

Hardness: 5°dH - 12°dH

Potential size: 2.1"

Water Region: Middle-Bottom

Activity: Diurnal

Lifespan: 2-3 years

Color: Black, Gold, Neon Blue

Mouth: Normal

Gender: The male's front dorsal fin rays are much longer than the female's, forming the telltale "spike." The dorsal fin of the male also tends to have a pointed shape near the caudal fin, where the female's is more rounded. Females are smaller and have a reddish tinge on their pelvic regions, especially when getting ready to spawn. Also, the black spot on the side of the female blue ram may have irridescent blue spangles throughout, and the male's tends to be solid black.

Acclimation: It is highly recommended that a QT tank be used for any new German Blue Ram additions. This will allow you to monitor their health. Two weeks is generally considered the minimum QT period. German Blue Rams are extremely sensitive to water parameters and are easily stressed. They are also prone to "premature" deaths due to breeding techniques utilized in Asia (more on that below). As a result, acclimation must be done with patience. Acclimation should not be rushed and should be performed for at least 45 minutes to an hour. Float the bag to equalize the temperature. Then add tank water slowly. Let the water run down the sides of the bag as splashing has been identified as stressful to them. Turn off tank lights prior to introduction to main tank. This allows your new German Blue Rams to become adjusted to their surroundings and deters other fish from becoming "nosy" and causing additional stress to them.

Breeding: Breeding German Blue Rams is usually easy once a pair bond is achieved. Often, rams will not pair up just because a male and female are together. Getting multiple juvi's and letting them grow together often results in pair bonds. Once a pair bond is formed, a pH of 5.5 to 6.5 is the best for the adults, eggs, and fry. German Blue Rams become sexually mature fairly quickly - maturity can be reached as early as 4-6 months. Many aquarists report some pairs as being monogamous. Others have said German Blue Rams are polygamous and prefer the 'harem' approach.

This is where breeding German Blue Rams can become a challenge, since breeding German Blue Rams is not always an easy task. Young German Blue Rams will most likely not get it right the first few times and some pairs spend most of their free time fighting: fluctuating lighting times may distort their breeding. A big red abdomen and a visible ovipositor is a good sign that a female is ready and willing, and the female or male cleaning a piece of rock, wood, or creating a pit in the sand of gravel is also a promising indication. The pair will begin to show a little more interest in one another by twirling and nudging each other, even at night. The male may display irregular bursts of energy where he'll dart away or begin sliding his body against the female.

The female can lay between 20-200 eggs. Both parents will tend to the eggs. It is not unusual that the parents will eat the eggs, especially unfertilzed ones. As mentioned previously, they may spawn several times until they get it right.

Comments: The German Blue Ram, although a very exciting and colorful fish, has created some discomfort for aquarists. Many aquarists have complained of premature demises of this wonderful fish, most often within a few days or within months after introducing them to their tank. I had this very thing occur with my first German Blue Rams, despite being purchased them from a very clean and reputable LFS. Researching this fish has revealed that most of the German Blue Rams available commercially are imported from Asia, where the fish are injected with hormones. This process results in the fish becoming more colorful and induces premature spawning. It is often recommended that aquarists obtain wild caught or spawns from breeders.

Sources:

http://www.mongabay.com/apistogramma.htm
http://www.thekrib.com/Apisto/P-ramirezi.html
http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=12305
http://www.wetwebmedia.com/FWsubwebindex/rams.htm

Male

Female

Male

Great profile Jchillin. I love these fish. And I was just about to not believe all this stuff about them dying easily since my very first pair ever were doing great. But now 5 months later my male is going downhill :roll: Even if they are sometimes short lived they are so cool to watch I would definitely consider getting more.

Nice profile.

My brother and I started with 8 GBR in our 75g community tank and waited for pairing to begin. Once we noticed a pair we either moved them to another tank or waited until after the spawning to move. From the original 8, we have had 3 pair lay a total of 5 batches of eggs. We weren't quite prepared for this and have not had the ideal setup in place. From these spawns we have roughly 20 fry at different stages.

I would like to hear from someone with experience raising the fry, perhaps someone could add more info regarding the water chemistry, feeding and setup used to successfully rear these very small fry (at multiple stages).

I noticed that this thread is a little old, but i'm definitely interested in learning more about these fish if anyone can answer my question on compatibality. I'm dying to get a few blue German ram's for my 80 gallon! I saw a few at the petstore this week and had a fit over them! My LFS said that they would order them for me if I decided I wanted them. I'm still trying to research first before I add them...want to make sure everything would get along well!

Any idea how they would get along with other tropical fish? It's a well planted tank with plenty of space/etc. (I have an angel, a blue powder dwarf gourami, 15 yr old common pleco, glo fish, lemon tetras, ghost/glass catfish, and cherry barbs in that tank at the moment.)

GBR's (german blue rams) are gentle for cichlids. They get along with fish like neons, so your lemon tetras shouldn't be an issue. The problem could be with the angel, gourami, and barbs as they can be fin nippers. Now, on the other side of the coin, those lil GBRs are pretty fiesty so it could work out fines. You said it's well planted, are there any caves for them to hide in? They do like that.

Now, on to the down side of GBR's, and I can speak from experience. They are hard to keep alive. My boyfriend and I have gone through more than I care to count since we started with them back in Feb. They are picky about their water, it must be clean. But they are also very sensitive to changes in their water. They like a low ph but can adapt if acclimated properly. So far the batch we got last week is still alive and spawned last night.

Once you get through all the other issues, they live past the first month/ month and a half, they should be ok. But be prepared for mysterious deaths. It happens alot with them.

They are very beautiful fish and fun to watch if you have a pair that decides to mate. They flutter at each other and rub against each other, next thing you know you have eggs on a flat surface.

GBR's (german blue rams) are gentle for cichlids. They get along with fish like neons, so your lemon tetras shouldn't be an issue. The problem could be with the angel, gourami, and barbs as they can be fin nippers. Now, on the other side of the coin, those lil GBRs are pretty fiesty so it could work out fines. You said it's well planted, are there any caves for them to hide in? They do like that.

Now, on to the down side of GBR's, and I can speak from experience. They are hard to keep alive. My boyfriend and I have gone through more than I care to count since we started with them back in Feb. They are picky about their water, it must be clean. But they are also very sensitive to changes in their water. They like a low ph but can adapt if acclimated properly. So far the batch we got last week is still alive and spawned last night.

Once you get through all the other issues, they live past the first month/ month and a half, they should be ok. But be prepared for mysterious deaths. It happens alot with them.

They are very beautiful fish and fun to watch if you have a pair that decides to mate. They flutter at each other and rub against each other, next thing you know you have eggs on a flat surface.

Thankyou for the info! It's very helpful! :) I think my biggest reason to hesitate is the fragility and low life expectancy of them. That's my biggest concern. Everything I've come across so far seems to talk about how fragile they are and how easily they die. I'm still trying to decide I want to chance it or not. They're gorgeous fish! I just don't want them to die off on me eithor though.

The tank is pretty well planted and there are also lots of stone caves (varying sizes/etc) for them to hide in. As far as my cherry barbs go, they typically keep to themselves (and sometimes school with my glofish lol!) I've never seen them nip at my other fish, so thankfully they aren't concerning me too much. My blue powder dwarf gourami also keeps to himself and seems to be very peaceful thus far. The angel fish is also gentle around the others and has actually started shooling off and on with my lemon tetras (random!). She hides sometimes too (like now for instance, I can't find the heifer anywhere in my tank!). So far everything in my tank seems to be peaceful..so hopefully if I did decide on the rams, they'll get along.

You might also try the Bolivian rams. I've heard from others that they are stronger and much easier to keep alive. To me they aren't quite as beautiful, but that could also be at the LFS they aren't showcased properly. No fish is IMO.

I started with 4 german blues back in august. They did fairly well at first and the older pair of the group tried to spawn within a week. Either the spawning went bad, they ate the eggs, or my catfish had a late-night snack, but I couldnt find any eggs the next morning. All the fish did well for the first month and a half and then slowly started kicking the bucket. It usually went the same for all the fish-their color would darken considerably and they would become very sedentary. At that point it was a matter of time until they died. Very beautiful fish and fun to watch, but hard to keep alive. If you get a pair to spawn I would recommend you keep as many spawn alive as possible in case the parents go downhill. Im planning on trying again with some more in a few weeks or months (depends on if Im moving in january or not--dont want to mess with transporting a fish a couple of hours that is notorious for dying). If you are up to the challenge and work i would give it a go. just dont be distraught at a few losses

Great profile. Looks like you put a lot of work into this. Good job. Great fish too. Are there other colors? I thought I saw a red one the other day. But kids distracted me from asking.

Bige,

There are different ones. There's:

Golds: the males have an orange capped head, females have some orange, bodies are mainly a very pretty yellow.

German Blues: Which are the most beautiful IMO. Mixture of iridescent blues, blacks, yellows, reds

Electric Blues: I have yet to see these in person, but the pictures look great. Very vibrant blue, some had black.

Bolivian rams: IMO not as colorful, but that could have been how they were housed at the LFS. Even pictures don't seem to show much. But it looks like they have some orange or red hues, lighter shades of blue and some black.

Balloon rams: A hybrid of angelfish and German blues. Personally I don't like them. Color of a German blue, body more like an angelfish.

And I've seem another one at my LFS but can't remember what they called it. It looked a lot like a Bolivian color wise but had a sharper face.

Thanks for the info. I guess I never paid attention to the differences. I had some a few years ago and they were called "rams". They were mostly blue.

Thankyou for the info! It's very helpful! :) I think my biggest reason to hesitate is the fragility and low life expectancy of them. That's my biggest concern. Everything I've come across so far seems to talk about how fragile they are and how easily they die. I'm still trying to decide I want to chance it or not. They're gorgeous fish! I just don't want them to die off on me eithor though.

The tank is pretty well planted and there are also lots of stone caves (varying sizes/etc) for them to hide in. As far as my cherry barbs go, they typically keep to themselves (and sometimes school with my glofish lol!) I've never seen them nip at my other fish, so thankfully they aren't concerning me too much. My blue powder dwarf gourami also keeps to himself and seems to be very peaceful thus far. The angel fish is also gentle around the others and has actually started shooling off and on with my lemon tetras (random!). She hides sometimes too (like now for instance, I can't find the heifer anywhere in my tank!). So far everything in my tank seems to be peaceful..so hopefully if I did decide on the rams, they'll get along.

I couldn't resist any longer and recently got 3 German Blue Rams from one of the local fish stores. (In the past when I had asked around about them, it had been at Petco...they told me that their life expectancy was very low and that they were very fragile. When I talked to the lady at the LFS however she told me that they do well in established tanks like mine and I shouldn't have any issues.) I'm glad I listened to the lady at the LFS and decided to get a few of them! I have 3 now...pretty sure I have 2 females and 1 male. I'm soo happy I gave them a shot! They are a beautiful addition to my tank and get along well with everyone!! (I've added quite a few new additions since my previous post!) I've very glad I decided to get them! :)

They should do fine if your tank is really established as they like seasoned water as I call it. I'm not a ram expert but I have heard it's better to have your
water on the warmer side and that you don't have too many males as they will get aggressive during breeding time.

Back
Top Bottom