KeyHole Cichlid Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jason7894561230

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey all,
So i got a request on my profile page for a Keyhole Cichlid profile so here it is!

Description
The Keyhole Cichlid is one of the most peaceful cichlids that can be kept with a wide variety of different kinds of fish. This fish also stay small and is able to fit into smaller tank because of it, also it doesnt eat plant which makes it a perfect fish for a planted community.
Though it being not very colourful it has a very nice pattern and dot on its back. If the fish is stressed its body turns into a brown but is more a yellow cream when not. The Black spot on its back gives this fish it's name "Keyhole".

Habitat & Care
This cichlid should not be ke kept in a tank less than 20 gal and a tank of 40 gal is ideal. The tank should be decorated with plants, driftwood and stones. Also this cichlid can be kept with more fragile plants as it does not eat them.
The Keyhole Cichlid can be kept with many types of fish because of its peaceful natures. Making it a perfect choice for a centerpeice fish. This fish doesnt like any strong currents and they should be avoided.
The Keyhole cichlid is a hardy fish and is an ideal starter cichlid for begginers adapting to a wide range of paraments. They are robust fish fighting of many diseases. This fish can survive in poor water conditions but prefers clean water with Nitrate levels lower. This fish will thrive in an established aquarium with paraments being- Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 0-20
Ph 6.0 - 8.0
Hardness n/a
Temperature 25*c or 75*F

Diet
The keyhole wil accept most types of food, being an omnivore it will accept flake and pellets but also like live food like brine shrimp and blood worms. Also peas that have been half boiled and skinned are good for them too. A varied diet is important for this fish to thrive and give full colour

So here are some pictures

gallery_0_10_9808.jpg

keyhole_cichlid-11.jpg

Very nice! I have been considering keyholes since they are so calm and hardy. Since i was young and my parents had there hex tank set up i always wanted cichlids of my own and now that i am learning more and seeing possibly better options for me. I still want cichlids lol. thanks for sharing!

Do keyholes prefer a 1:1 ratio (male:female) or are they harem breeders more like the apistogramma sp.? Thanks :)

Back
Top Bottom