Kuhli Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

adadkins1

Aquarium Advice Addict
Submitted By: adadkins1

Common Names: Kuhli Loach or sometimes Coolie Loach
Scientific Name: Pangio kuhlii
Category: Loach
Family: Cobitidae
Origin: Indonesia
Maximum Size: 4 inches max
Ecosystem: Sandy bottom streams among leaf litter
Salinity: Freshwater
Temperment: Extremely Peaceful
Diet: Omnivore
Temperature: 75°F - 82°F
pH Range: 6.0 - 8.0
Hardness: 5 - 12
Sexing: Females will be plumper when filled with eggs.
Lifespan: 4-5 years, but there have been reports of 10+ years
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallon for a group of 5; NOTE: The minimum tank size varies widely from the 10g I listed up to a 30g.
Strata: Substrate
Tankmates: Other peaceful fish such as Rasboras, Barbs, Tetras, Gouramis, and others as long as they do not see the Kuhli as food.

Acclimation: Acclimate your Kuhli Loaches slowly in order to prevent unneeded stress. Float the fish in the bag for about 30 minutes so it can get used to the temperature in your aquarium. Then remove about 50% of the water from the bag. Slowly replace the water removed with some from you aquarium. Do this in increments: replace about 10 % of the water with some from your aquarium then wait 20 minutes. Do this process until you have 50% original water and 50% of your water. This will allow the fish time to get used to the chemical properties of your water. Finally, carefully release your fish into the aquarium and enjoy.

Care: Kuhli Loaches must be kept in groups of at least 5 individuals. They are not really schooling fish, but when kept singly or in very small groups they will rarely be seen. They feel security in numbers like other social fish. Kuhlis love a well-planted aquarium with caves and many densely planted areas for them to seek shelter. Some leaf litter (Oak and Indian Almond come to mind) will be greatly appreciated and mimic their natural habitat. Sand substrate is preferred, but gravel will be sufficient. Just make sure there are no rough edges to injure the Kuhli's sensitive barbels.

Feeding: Kuhlis are extremely easy to feed. As scavengers they will enjoy any scraps your other fish miss, but they still need to have food of their own. Since they do a lot of their foraging at night it is recommended that you feed them right before or after lights off. You can feed shirmp pellets, bloodworms, algae pellets, or even just sink some flake food for them; they are not very picky.

Breeding: Kuhli Loaches are very rarely bred in aquaria. In the days of the undergravel filter, people would sometimes discover their Kuhlis missing. When they went in search of them they would find that their Kuhlis had gotten in their UGF and bred. I have never experienced breeding Kuhlis and it is considered very difficult.

*If you have had any experience with breeding them, let us know!

Comments: I have a nice school of 5 Kuhli Loaches in my 55g to keep the substrate clean. I will soon be upping their numbers as soon as my tank finishes its mini-cycle. These critters are true characters. They will be sifting around in the substrate then just stop and sit in one spot for hours. Sometimes they will go on a mad rampage swimming all around the tank. These are definitely wonderful bottom feeders that are entertaining to watch and do not add a massive amount to your bio-load IMO.

Sources:

Loaches - Cobitinae

Kuhli Loach (Pangio kuhlii) Loaches Online

Nice profile, well done!

Common Names: Kuhli Loach, Coolie Loach, Black Kuhli Loach
Just wanted to mention that the black kuhli is actually a separate species, Pangio oblonga.

Nice profile, well done!

Just wanted to mention that the black kuhli is actually a separate species, Pangio oblonga.

Sorry, I was actually just looking and found out that there are multiple species of Pangio sp. that are marketed as Kuhli Loach or other misnomers. Will edit!

May I ask where the 10 gallon for 5 specimens came from? Not being snarky, just that, from my experience with my own kuhlis, I cannot imagine them in anything less than a 20 gallon long, and even then I think I'd prefer to see them in a 30 minimum.

Nice write-up! (y)

Thank you. Well, I have seen them in 10g tanks and along with many other reputable sources. Seriously Fish, Mongabay, Badman's Tropical Fish, and others that I consider useful resources all have Kuhlis listed as needing a 10g footprint. That is just me and from Mumma's thread we know that there are TONS of different opinions. I was just compiling observation and may other opinions from sources. The 5 specimens is just my opinion of what the bare minimum number that should be kept.

I just got an idea! See the polls....

I'm about yo pick 4 of these guys (and some other fish) up from someone leaving the island, are they ok with corydoras ?

Awesome report, I had a bad experience with these (my first dead fish) ????

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I'm thinking of picking up 7 for my 65 gallon. My substrate is sand but only about 1.5 inches deep, is that too shallow? I haven't found information on the proper substrate depth for keeping Kuhlis.

I'm about yo pick 4 of these guys (and some other fish) up from someone leaving the island, are they ok with corydoras ?

They do great with cory. One of mine occasionally sleeps against a large emerald cory. Ive neer had a problem.

I do have to disagree about never seeing them. :confused: i have three in my tank and they are very active. I see them all the time. If they feels safe you will see them. When mine get grumpy hey hide in a coconut shell. Someone on the dui recommended i cut a cave out of a coconut for a bigger fish. With the leftover top of the coconut, i just dropped it in for decor, but the loaches love squeezing between the natural occurring holes in the top. They're the only ones who can fit into that nest!

I'm glad I read this because I only have 1 kuhli loach in my 45 gallon tank...I have 2 catfish, 5 danios, a bristlenose pleco, and a molly. How many more kuhlis should I get do you guys think?

I'm glad I read this because I only have 1 kuhli loach in my 45 gallon tank...I have 2 catfish, 5 danios, a bristlenose pleco, and a molly. How many more kuhlis should I get do you guys think?

And I am glad you brought this to the top! I am getting 5 this weekend for my tank :D

Had anyone experienced their kuhlies escaping or going into their filters? I have a fluval 306 canister, should I be worried about the kuhlies attempting to swim into the output hose due to the current? 2

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Time for some research, wasnt expecting that one :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I have a 30 long tank currently going through cycling and i am deciding what to put in it. I want a community tank with an oddball twist to it (like an eel shaped fish) and it seems Kuhli is the way to go. Everything ive read online says they like waters anywhere between 75-85 and ph from 6-7, so in my tank i was planning on mid-high 70's temperature wise and around 7 ph wise, my questions are: is a 30 long tank fine for 3-4 kuhli loaches plus some small fish (tetras or possibly glass catfish or etc.) and is the combination of mid-high 70's plus a ph around 7 fine or is it cutting it a little close for their comfort zones?

What's your pH currently? It's a phenomenally ridiculous undertaking to try to goof with pH. My pH is consistently around 7.6, and that's just what it is. ?

Mine is about 7.4 right now but im cycling so if I can ajust it nows the chance, and i can already tell its a pretty big burden trying to change it����

I have black kuhli and striped kuhli at 7.6, they're fine :) pH is critical for things like discus and the high pH 8+ guys, but not so much with these guys :D I would skip tinkering with the pH in this case.

Wow thats some good news! Do you think a 30 long tank is fine for 3 loaches?

Back
Top Bottom