Least Killifish (Heterandria Formosa)-jetajockey

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Common name: Least Killifish
Scientific name: Heterandria Formosa
Native range: Southern US, west to Louisiana and eastward along the coast up to North Carolina.

Native habitat: Sluggish streams, heavy vegetation, swamps

Compatible tankmates: A very community friendly fish, works with pretty much any species that won't eat it.

Recommended tank size: 5 gallons or larger is preferable, due to their small size they can fit well in very very small tanks.

Size: Males typically grow to about 3/4" (.75") and Females to 1 1/4" (1.25")

Diet: Eats most anything you throw at them. They actively eat flakes, pellets, and anything that wiggles and fits in their mouth.

Description: Females and males are similar looking, however females are larger and more plump, while males are smaller and slender. This fish has a nice pattern, white on the stomach, black stripe along the lateral line, and bronze on the top half of the fish. Some individuals have bright blue and red colors in their dorsal fins as well.

Behavior: A non aggressive fish, works well with most stocking plans. Kept successfully with adult dwarf shrimp.

Reproduction: Livebearer, gives birth to a few young at a time.
Stocking: Could easily fit 6 of these in a 5 gallon.

General: This is a great community/nano fish. It's the smallest livebearer native to the US. This fish adapts to a wide range of conditions including lightly brackish water. Spends a lot of time foraging around, shoaling when they feel threatened. Because of their size, they work in tanks where most fish do not. They are often kept in tanks 5 gallons or smaller.

Overall a great addition to any tank.

img_1480417_0_252990fe01a50832053fdef56ad41e77.png

img_1480417_1_5c8adbe4a13a87dd0b34c3b356e18222.png

img_1480417_2_881892020677b77e97c0eba08fbf2c4c.png

img_1480417_3_e6696d360263fea3d69f8a5b50b912b6.png

good profile. i wonder if i can get those around here...

jetajockey said:
Here's a range map from usgs.gov They are also bought/sold online for relatively cheap, I have some from time to time when I'm thinning out my colony.

If you ever get a cull, PM me. I love them.

I keep them too. I have a ten gallon full of them. I keep mine in the mid eighties. I keep the tank heavily planted. I have read some people say they can survive in blackwater too.

They are so easy to keep, I've even kept them in rubbermaid boxes! I got a gold variety on aquabid a couple years ago, they were really cute and were easier to see in the tanks.

Back
Top Bottom