Mbu Pufferfish Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Roaringrory

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Submitted by Roaringrory

Scientific Name: Tetrodon mbu

Common Names: Mbu Pufferfish

Other Common Names: Giant Puffer, Giant Freshwater Puffer, Gold Ringed Puffer

Category: Freshwater pufferfish

Family: Tetrodontiadae

Origin: Congo Basin, Lake Tanganyika

Main Ecosystem: Lakes and Rivers

Salinity: Freshwater

Temperament: Vey aggressive (some may tolerate tank mates)

Diet: Carnivorous and predatory. Like all puffers, they should be feed a variety of crunchy foods to keep their beaks trimmed. Typically a diet of krill (when young), bloodworms, snails, clams, crayfish, shrimp and crab is recommended. They can be trained to accept dead food. Its is best to steer away from offering feeder fish because they often times are disease-ridden from being kept in overcrowded conditions and have the potential to transfer parasites and fungus to your puffer. Feeder fish also do not contain the right mixture of proteins and other essential minerals and vitamins that a pufferfish requires. They should be feed daily when young then 2-3 times per week when with occasional snacks when fully grown. Be cautious about overfeeding.

Care: Mbu's, like all pufferfish, are extremely sensitive to nitrites and ammonia and should only be introduced in a fully cycled aquarium. They should only be kept by experienced owners who can meet their special needs. Mbu’s are very messy eaters and extremely large fish, so over filtration is a must. Frequent water changes are also recommended. They also require a very large tank of at least 300-400 gallons depending on size. (Most sites say 1000 gallons but I personally consider that overkill for a 2 foot fish. I would say an aquarium 8' long x 3' wide x 2' tall is more reasonable)

pH: 7.0-7.8

Temperature: 23 – 26°C/ 74 - 80°F

Hardness: 10.0-15.0 dKH

Potential Size: 67cm / 26 inches

Water Region: Bottom to mid level

Activity: Mbu’s will come to recognize their owners and consistently beg for food. Some will even allow their owners to pet them. If the tank is too small or not enough landscape is provided, mbu’s will exhibit repetitive swimming up and down the side of the aquarium glass out of boredom. They are also known to be finicky and will go on hunger strikes if a certain type of food isn’t provided.

Lifespan: 10+ years

Color: Black and yellow pattern on the back and a yellow or white underbelly. A yellow striped tail and orange eyes. This fish has the ability to change color depending on it mood.

Mouth: Mbu puffers have teeth that are fused together to form a beak like structure. Their jaws are strong enough to crush snails and crack open shellfish. Caution when feeding as an accidental bite from one will cause severe injury.

Sexing: Impossible to sex.

Acclimation: Mbu’s are extremely aggressive and prefer to be housed alone. They will seek out and kill any fish smaller than them or potentially harm larger fish due to territorial behavior. There are people who have successfully kept Mbu’s with other types community fish but these vary case by case and temperament of the puffer. Repetitive swimming up and down the glass is an indication of boredom or inadequate tank size.

Breeding: No successful reports of Mbu puffers breeding in captivity due to their high levels of aggression.

Comments: Overall, a mbu is an demanding fish to keep but very rewarding! Be sure you are up to the challenges (feeding, filtration, water changes, tank size, lifespan, ect.) before getting one. To me, they are just like dogs... aquatic dogs! :D
Bellow are some photos of my own Mbu. His name is Elliot and he's about 3.5 inches. If I had missed any info or am mistaken of anything, please do comment and feel free to message me if you have any questions! :)

Sources:
Mbu puffer owner
The Puffer Forum • The Puffer Fish Care Community
Aquarium Fish, Tropical Fish, Freshwater and Saltwater Aquariums

Attachments

• IMG_1683.jpg
    IMG_1683.jpg
    191.7 KB · Views: 384
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_1671.jpg