Molly Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

IssyDizzy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Types: Dalmation, Salfin, whites, blacks, oranges

Pics:

image-2372199499.jpg

image-216608618.jpg

They are in my opinion, the best of the livebearers. Intelligent, friendly and just all round gorgeous they are perfect for a first time fish owner.

Hardy?
Yes, Molly's are very hardy. Especially dalmations who have been known to go through terrible tanks and live. These would probably be one of the first ones to introduce to a new tank.

Temperament?
Molly's are overall calm and loving fish but truthfully I have know a few to be a bit aggressive. I have witnessed to friendly mollys just starting to randomly fight out.of the blue.

Size:
this has been debated many times. Some say because of activity level they should be kept in a 30 gall min.

However they have successfully been kept in around a seven.

Breeding:
Mollies are overall really easy to breed. Just let a male and female together and you should pretty much have to do nothing. It takes around 28-31 days for the babies to develop inside the mother and then the babies could be released in 60 minutes to a week. Molly's could have a max of around 80 babies. As they are livebearers the babies will come straight away. ( no eggs )

Overall impression:
Hardy. 9
Temper. 7
Breeding 8
Size 7
Overall average 7

These fish are great and they frantically swim to the glass every time you pass by.
One of mine just actually stays at the front and waits for me all day!!!

Any questions don't be afraid to ask

I just had a cremecicle lyretail molly birth about 20 fry, she has been squared off since I bought her in December. They are Orange, black striped, black speckled, and some have spots of red to them as well. The only male I know of in my tank is my black sailfin, but would he mate with a cremecicle lyretail? He only ever seems to bother our dalmation Molly but she has never birthed any fry and we have had them all since November. The fry are about a week old now and I can't get a clearly focused picture of them, sorry. Could she have been holding fry since December our would they have to be from the black sailfin male? I am so curious to how they got speckled and stripes!

Female Molly's can sperm five times without a male. It's really wired for them to be pregnant that long

Typical gestation length for mollies is about 30-35 days, same as with platies, guppies and swordtails.
It's possible that she has given birth before, but her young were eaten by hungry adults, which happens very often. The fry can also die and decompose in the tank overnight without ever being noticed, but I doubt conditions are bad like that.
What the OP said about mollies being able to get pregnant multiple times, this is true. She can and will store sperm and use it when she needs to. This can span months too, so she could have mated with a male from the lfs, but not used said sperm until recently, creating the brood you are referencing.

Great profile!

I'm personally not a huge fan of balloon bellies, mainly because they're ultimately the result of genetic defects. Wouldn't make it in the wild, but that's why we keep domestic tanks huh?

Admittedly, the first brood I ever experienced was from a balloon belly, and yet only three if the 15 fry were balloon bellies like she was.

I love ballon mollies. I have two with my fighter fish and albino cory.
My mollies are blowing bubbles on the surface of the tank and I have a lot of oxygen in the tank( live plant and a really good bubbly air pump that pumps really good bubbles and I leave it on all day and switch it of at night) so can anyone reply if you know what is happening with my mollies?
And I am sure my fighter is not blowing a bubble nest because I don't see him do it and I've bred him before so I know and I've seen the mollies blowing the bubbles if anyone knows i really appreciate it.

image-3956270920.jpg

There is a photo of the bubble thing the mollies are making thanks.

Is the dalmation a hybrid between sailfin and pacific mexican? Also i had a drop about 2 months ago of 13 fry. Their in a seperate tank gettin big. But i have had no more fry. I have 5 male and 5 female mollies they are dalmations white ones and yellow ones. They all look like salfin/lyretail except one thay looks like a pacific mexican. Their in a 50 gallon long planted tank.kept around 79f i fef them 3x a day crushed flake and also brine shrimp cubes. Why havent i had more fry? I saw 1 fry about a week ago but then nothing! I been cecking the tank alot so their not being eaten i dont think

Mollies: the everything fish and the best fish god could've ever given us! :D

aggressive mollies

I love ballon mollies. I have two with my fighter fish and albino cory.
My mollies are blowing bubbles on the surface of the tank and I have a lot of oxygen in the tank( live plant and a really good bubbly air pump that pumps really good bubbles and I leave it on all day and switch it of at night) so can anyone reply if you know what is happening with my mollies?
And I am sure my fighter is not blowing a bubble nest because I don't see him do it and I've bred him before so I know and I've seen the mollies blowing the bubbles if anyone knows i really appreciate it.

View attachment 173380

There is a photo of the bubble thing the mollies are making thanks.

I have a very aggressive black male mollie. Not only is he after the 2 female mollies in the 10 gal. tank but he's nipping the algae eaters. Any suggestions? I have live plants, lots of hiding spaces, water parameters are healthy...water changes are 10%twice a week...

I have a very aggressive black male mollie. Not only is he after the 2 female mollies in the 10 gal. tank but he's nipping the algae eaters. Any suggestions? I have live plants, lots of hiding spaces, water parameters are healthy...water changes are 10%twice a week...

The tank is to small lMO, that could be the cause of aggression.

Hey, is 2-3 mollies ok for a 23 gallon aquarium? I was hoping to get one balloon Molly, dalmation, and keep the one I already have. And do they get along with a Platy or 2?

Please do not post questions or chat on this thread.

The purpose of this forum is to post informative threads about freshwater fish, inverts and plants. Don't post questions in this forum. If you have a FW fish, invert or plant that you want to tell us about please post a picture of it and a description of it and any info that the FW aquarist will need. If anyone else has any more info on it they will post to that thread. It should be that anyone that wants to know about a certain fish, invert, or plant can come to this forum and read up on it. Please post your questions in the other forums and post your knowledge and experience in this one.

Follow this template when you create your profile: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f29/fish-profile-template-59256.html

Back
Top Bottom