Silver Arowana

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jburns

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I see a lot of smaller and beginner-friendly fish in here so i’d like to showcase a bigger and somewhat more skilled fish to keep. Meet Saturn, my silver arowana (Osteoglossum bicirrhosum). I do not know it’s sex, however it is *only* 12 inches long out of a potential maximum of ~36 inches. Very skittish species, though mine has come to get used to me being anywhere remotely near the tank. To my surprise, my aro is now comfortable enough to let me pet it! I’ve got it on a healthy/nutritious diet with plenty of variation and it seems to eat about everything I offer it so i’ve gotten really lucky there. Definitely want a good strong lid of some sort for these fish though, mine has reminded me several times that they’re notorious for jumping since plot twist that’s how they hunt in the wild. This explains why arowana usually swim about at the surface of the water. In captivity though, very elegant and gorgeous fish with an amazing scale pattern. Recommended to only have one per tank unless you’ve got a behemoth of a tank to spread some aggression.

Adjustments.jpg

Nice aro!
I used to have a couple Asian aros.
All I have now are slick and dick my two silver arrows I bet you an guess who's more aggressive ;) lol

Nice aro!

I used to have a couple Asian aros.

All I have now are slick and dick my two silver arrows I bet you an guess who's more aggressive ;) lol

thanks! believe me i’d have an asian aro if we didnt get in big boy trouble in the states :( love the names btw hahaha how are things working out having 2 together?

Yep they've kinda have their own personallotoes but I've had them together since they were 3 inches long. So they are kinda use to eachother.

that’s awesome
mine gets along well with everything else with the exception of the occasional less than half-assed “bite” it tries when my dojo loach skims the surface
aros would be perfect if they didn’t look like literal demons when they yawn/stretch lmfao

When the arrows yawn it's quite a sight... Although not as interestin as when my old leaf fish use too now that! Was awesome!

oh man i’d love to see that in person! hope it’s as ridiculous as black ghost knifes doing literally anything haha

yess they’re amazing they can move like any direction so cool to watch them move. i have one about 7” but my lfs has two or three giants! i’d love to snag one but it probably won’t play well with the other :/

idk what the identical pics are those aren’t even saved to my phone ??*♂️

That is the picture that manifests when you think about buying a blood parrot.

started it out in a 125 with a golden dojo loach (9”), bgk (~7-8”), and a lima shovelnose (7”). will be moving the aro to something bigger soon don’t worry it will get the proper space. pretty quiet tank but it’s got a few oddballs

no they almost look like a zebra pencil haha smaller sized cat with an elongated/slender body. usually just turns into a bridge or does a handstand all day lol

Back
Top Bottom