Biorb

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

catfish1102

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've just found out about this 'biorb' tank. Its fairly small (30l) but its an interesting design and seems to be lower maintenence than a standard tank.

This is the company's website http://www.reef-one.com/

I thought I'd post it up to see if anyone's got one/seen one/got any comments before I splash out. (Basic cost seems to be around £100 for the tank and all its bits, plus another £32 ish for a heater if you want to keep tropicals)

I have seen them and they are pretty cool looking. They would mainly be used for lighting, as they are rather bright.

Orb

Hi
Ok for FW or tropicals, but they do a marine update for it, I had one don't touch it fish last 3 weeks max if you do 25% water change weekly.

Dukie:(:confused:

I've got one - I love it, although its limited in how many fish you can have - hence the fact that I now have two other tanks!!! going shopping for fish is addictive!!

my tropicals.jpg

That looks pretty neat. I had a choice between a 30L biorb or a ready-to-go 60L standard tank, both £95...

Then I looked at the extra gubbins the Biorb wanted and the kit you have to replace every month or so! The future costs of running a biorb kinda put me off, I have to say, but that one looks pretty cool.

The limited choice of substrates and rather plasticky-looking top and base was a turnoff for me, too. I like the idea with my standard tank that if I need to upscale I can use the same filter, heater, and aeration kit out of the old tank.

What's that circle in the front of the sphere? Some sort of magnifier? If so, that is very cool.

Thumbs up for biorb

I'm glad to see some good feedback on the biorb! I've had a 60litre marine biorb up and running since 25th April and haven't had any problems, it has been a dream so far and all the params have been around 0 since setup!!! The live rock I purchased to go in was very mature so this seems to have cycled it instantly (3.5kg live rock). None of the inhabitants have died so I am totally in favour of these tanks so far. The only problem I have come across today whilst doing my first lot of maintenance is that I can't get the bubble tube to untwist and come out, to change the service kit (filter). I am a bit worried that it is stuck indefinitely so anybody who knows how to rectify this please do let me know! I would recommend the 60litre over the smaller one because it really is the minimum volume of water to ensure reasonable stability. Also, keeping corals is nigh on impossible due to the lighting available, except for non-photosynthetic ones which usually require daily target feeding. I would say, "Go for it!" I haven't regretted it, but I do want to find a way to unlock the bubble tube!!

Donlt necessarily believe those replacement guidelines--after all they may be based more on maximising what you pay than what the fish need.

Thanks for your comment Mystery. Please could you explain in more detail what you mean - also is your comment a response to mine or ElwoodPDowds? I have left it longer than recommended before doing the maintenance but I need to do a PWC/filter replacement now because the trace elements etc found within the filter cartridge will be depleted and the water may not be filtered safely after a certain period of time.

I believe Biorb suggests a replacement frequency that is a little too high. With water testing you can wait until the change is needed.

My water quality is fine, although I haven't checked it today. It has been ammonia 0, nitrites 0, nitrates 0 since setup with only one very slight rise in ammonia once, lasting 12 hours!! I am amazed how well the live rock has cycled the tank, but I am concerned that the buffering capacity will not be up to scratch and that the trace elements might need replacing within the filter. It has had cuc in for about 5 weeks and one fish for about 4 so I'm thinking it is due for a change. I set the tank up on April 25th btw. I was going to wait for a rise in nitrates as you said, but they are at 0 and it is for other reasons that I'm doing the maintenance. Any suggestions on how to get the bubble tube out? My husband just suggested trying a jar opener (round, flat rubber thing to hold the lid of a jam jar) to improve grip but I'm not convinced it will work and I don't know where to get one anyway. I think there might be a few particles of sand trapping it because my lfs sold me some amphipods/copepods and some sand got in the bag with them. Reef One assured me a small amount would be okay but obviously it isn't. When we first put the tube and filter together I do recall it being difficult to untwist so it could be nothing to do with sand. I am really worried it is stuck permanently :(

I have a biorb 105 which I think is a fantastic tank and looks great on its matching stand.

I have found baby fish get sucked into the filter though anyone else had this issue?

Back
Top Bottom