Fishless Cycling Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott01

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi

Been cycling a Fluval Edge for 9 days now using Jeyes Kleenoff Ammonia - still no nitrites.

Have 3 plants - Anubias Barteri, Lilaeopsis Brasiliensis and Myriophyllum Mattogrossense

On Monday, noticed white fluff/mould starting to grow on substrate, did a 50% WC and gravel clean - seemed to get rid of it, or so I thought. Yesterday (Wednesday) fluff started to reappear, and then last night, had an explosion of white dots all over glass, on closer inspection they move. Some are bigger than others, and look like small white worms. Having trawled the net last night - seems to be Planaria aarrggg!!!

What am I doing wrong, all forums suggest that both this white mould and the planaria are the result of overfeeding, uneaten food - how can this be possible when I don't have any fish in the tank. The only thing I am feeding is ammonia.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. I am popping out to Dobbies tonight to see what they suggest, but got it in mind already that this weekend will be spent stripping down aquarium and boiling everything in salty water.

Feel like this fishless cycling seems more hassle than its worth - but I am so keen to do it right, and glad in a way that I've not got any fish yet - knowing my luck they would have been floating by now! :facepalm:

Help please!!

Hi and welcome.

Stick with the fishless cycle, its worth the effort.

Can I suggest you ask the moderators in the tech support side to move this to the getting started section, then one of the experts will answer

Back
Top Bottom