Hello from Ireland!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey guys I'm from Dublin :) cool great that there are Irish people here. 3 aint so bad!

Hey guys I'm from Dublin :) cool great that there are Irish people here. 3 aint so bad!
Now that's a bit closer to me. Great to have you guys on board. There are a couple more paddies but I don't think they are active much. I haven't seen them around for a while. There are of course plenty of Irish/Americans but it doesn't matter where you are from, we are all the same, fish addicts....lol. We all help each other out. Everyone is so friendly and willing to help out, especially the newbies. There are some serious aquarists here and some of the tanks are just unbelievable. Are you completely new to this or a returning hobbyist??

Beautiful part of the country. I'm from Drogheda, Louth. Not as beautiful but not too bad, home is home I guess. What's your set-up, please say your a freshie. Any good LFS in your area??

Drogheda is nice to I have a 55 gal cichlid wit plecos tank sorry I don't no wat LFS is?

Drogheda is nice to I have a 55 gal cichlid wit plecos tank sorry I don't no wat LFS is?
Local Fish Store!!. If you hover your curser over the word, it usually gives the full word.....
Very nice, I plan on having a cichlid tank myself, someday!!

I'm new to this. So much to learn!!!! I'm cycling a freshwater tank at the moment- it's 110litres.

Local Fish Store!!. If you hover your curser over the word, it usually gives the full word.....
Very nice, I plan on having a cichlid tank myself, someday!!

I'm using a phone. There is a few shops but not much of a choice in them wat about drogheda

Wat kind of fish are ya thinking of

Well I love the look of the Black Mollies. I'm also gonna start with some tetras and a not too big bottom feeder like a bristlenose. I dont want to get anything too "difficult" to start with.

Hi and welcome to the forum from me over here in the UK:)
Best advice is to take it real slow and do plenty of research,the Bristlenoses will be perfect,black mollies are good but do like it warm and prefer very hard water {A High P/H} but plenty to choose from(y)

I'm using a phone. There is a few shops but not much of a choice in them wat about drogheda
Same. Not much choice, just two. One kinda large chain store, I don't buy fish here. They don't seem to last more than a few weeks. All the tanks are connected and run off the same sump. One tank gets sick, they all get sick. They do have a great selection though, pity. The second store, very small but I love it. The staff(2 of them!) are really nice and know there stuff. He doesn't have much of a choice but can order in almost any fish needed. I go in there every Saturday and spend 2-3hrs just sitting there, drinking tea, checking out his stock list and general chatting.....

Same. Not much choice, just two. One kinda large chain store, I don't buy fish here. They don't seem to last more than a few weeks. All the tanks are connected and run off the same sump. One tank gets sick, they all get sick. They do have a great selection though, pity. The second store, very small but I love it. The staff(2 of them!) are really nice and know there stuff. He doesn't have much of a choice but can order in almost any fish needed. I go in there every Saturday and spend 2-3hrs just sitting there, drinking tea, checking out his stock list and general chatting.....

I find it the exact same here the small store no more she is very helpfull I Sean in your pic your 55 gal is it silica sand you have in it if so any helpfull tips on cleaning it

I find it the exact same here the small store no more she is very helpfull I Sean in your pic your 55 gal is it silica sand you have in it if so any helpfull tips on cleaning it
Yeah kids play sand from Tesco!!. Probably the best advice I can give you is, when feeding, only feed tiny amounts at a time, when they eat that, feed more and so on until they stop eating. My aim is to never let any food hit the substrate. I know that might sound obvious but it makes a big difference in keeping the sand clean. Also a few cory's are great for moving the sand around. When I do my PWC's(partial water changes), I use my large thongs to gently stir the sound around. If I was going to change it, I would use pool filter sand. There is a company in Dublin that sells it, and deliver for e10. Also when your vacuuming, just gently stir the sand and all the crap will float and be sucked up and out.

Well I love the look of the Black Mollies. I'm also gonna start with some tetras and a not too big bottom feeder like a bristlenose. I don't want to get anything too "difficult" to start with.
For your stock, i'm a big fan of livebearers, mollies, platies, guppies. Good non-aggressive fish, ideal for beginners. Widely available, cheap, colourful and you will get regular batches of fry, which encourages good housekeeping.
For your bottom feeders, I would go with 3/4 CoryCats instead of the bristlenose. I do like the bristlenose but they poop a lot, which can mess with your water parameters, especially in a new tank. I would wait until you get a bit more experience and understand water parameters a bit better. That's no disrespect intended to you but over here they are a bit pricey, so save your money and wait until you have your main stock and then decide.....

For your stock, i'm a big fan of livebearers, mollies, platies, guppies. Good non-aggressive fish, ideal for beginners. Widely available, cheap, colourful and you will get regular batches of fry, which encourages good housekeeping.
For your bottom feeders, I would go with 3/4 CoryCats instead of the bristlenose. I do like the bristlenose but they poop a lot, which can mess with your water parameters, especially in a new tank. I would wait until you get a bit more experience and understand water parameters a bit better. That's no disrespect intended to you but over here they are a bit pricey, so save your money and wait until you have your main stock and then decide.....

Cool thanks for the advice! I just love the Bristlenose-my friend has one they are really full of character!

Back
Top Bottom