New filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheBruce1314

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all,
I'm hoping someone out there knows the answer to my query. I have just purchased a canister filter to replace my old internal sponge filter and I am wondering how long I should leave the old filter in the tank and should I leave the old filter running for a while or can I switch it off and just leave it inside for a while?
The tank has been running for over 2 years now and after a couple of unexplained deaths recently I felt that maybe I have slightly over stocked especially for a standard internal filter. Probably clutching at straws but it makes me feel better with a bigger filter with more media in!
Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance!
100l tank
8 swordtails
5 neons
5 silver-tip tetra
5 mountain minos
6 adult guppies (about 10 fry)
1 molly
2 platy
1 bristle nose catfish

I would recommend at least 6 weeks before removing the old filter.You could help things along the way by putting some of the media from your old filter into your new one.
As far as your stocking goes you are a but overstocked.Had you thought about running both filters together.I used to have a 110 litre tank and I ran 2 x tetra ex1200 cannister filters and my water was always crystal clear and in perfect order.
As it takes a cannister filter about 6 weeks to cycle a tank if you have 2 then you can clean 1 every 6 weeks and the other is still keeping your tank in good order.Just a thought :)

Back
Top Bottom