Nitrate and nitrite levels.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DeadlyPenguin76

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all. Used a chemical testing kit for first time last night. Nitrate and nitrite levels are high but not dangerously. We added some new fish recently and two have since died (hence paying out for expensive chemical test kit and not using strips). The older fish have been in there 3 months plus. If i chemically alter the water to lower nitrate and nitrate will this affect the older fish as they are used to the higher levels?

Also, and this may be connected, when using a tap safe product do i add enough to allow for the percentage of tap water I've put in (20ltrs) or for the capacity of the tank (240ltrs)?

Fairly new to fish keeping, we've had cold water fish for a couple of years, but went freshwater tropical 4 months ago, with a much bigger tank.

Thanks.

Nitrites need to be zero all the time forever. Higher than zero can be fatal. Your fish will not suffer from reducing nitrites.

If you are treating a bucket of water then adding it, use the product for the volume of the bucket. If you add water directly to the tank, use enough for the whole volume of the tank before adding water.

Thanks. You've confirmed what i thought would be right but thought I'd put it out there and check. Any recommendations for a nitrite/nitrate removal product? We have an external filter system. There's so many products out there with various prices it's hard to choose what's best.

Simple water changes are by far the best removal product. You can't buy a magic chemical that is better. I do use Seachem Prime to neutralize reasonable levels of ammonia and nitrites (up to 1PPM). Higher than that you have some work to do. WCs are worth the trouble. I know large ones are a pain in a big tank.

My ammonia levels are almost zero. I'm already doing a 15 to 20% water change on a weekly basis every Saturday. I'm more than prepared to increase the regularity or the amount of water taken out. Do i double the amount? At least until i level out the nitrate. Our tap water is high in nitrates anyway so maybe I'm fighting a losing battle?

if you have nitrite present you should be doing more frequent water changes this is the main reason your fish are dying nitrite needs to be at 0 not sometimes but always

if you have nitrite present you should be doing more frequent water changes this is the main reason your fish are dying nitrite needs to be at 0 not sometimes but always

Agreed. The measurable presence of nitrites indicates the tank's cycling isn't complete.

While you're doing the water changes, also consider using a biological supplement to re-charge your cycle. I know a lot of people dismiss these as "snake oil," but I've had excellent results using both Dr. Tim's "One and Only" and Seachem's "Stability." In your case, I'd suggest the less-expensive Stability. It should get your cycle repaired if used as directed.

Good luck! (y)

Agreed. The measurable presence of nitrites indicates the tank's cycling isn't complete.

While you're doing the water changes, also consider using a biological supplement to re-charge your cycle. I know a lot of people dismiss these as "snake oil," but I've had excellent results using both Dr. Tim's "One and Only" and Seachem's "Stability." In your case, I'd suggest the less-expensive Stability. It should get your cycle repaired if used as directed.

Good luck! (y)
Thanks. I'd looked at the seachem products and i was 80% sure i would try them but you've helped me decide. Good advice. Thank you.

Back
Top Bottom