ATTN Canadians: Aquatic mail-orders, Cheaper than Big Al's!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I still haven't ordered from pets and ponds, but I will. They have great prices on battery operated air pumps and we need a few extra.

Menagerie said:
I still haven't ordered from pets and ponds, but I will. They have great prices on battery operated air pumps and we need a few extra.

If you are driving, why not just buy a power-inverter from Canadian Tire and run your regular air-pumps off of it?

If you are driving, why not just buy a power-inverter from Canadian Tire and run your regular air-pumps off of it?
We could do that, but I want to have battery operated ones as back up if the power fails in the house.

Hi all!

I'm new to Aquarium Advice, and the Canada Forum.

I'm always looking for the best price for aquarium stuff, and have found that most of the online retailers will match or beat prices. Big Al's will beat prices by 5% (plus they have double points on Wednesdays).

mishi8 :D

Menagerie said:
Many of us in the Calgary area avoid Big Al's.

Why is that? I remember seeing their location at Heritage & Macleod Trail (when I lived in Calgary), but never shopped there. I've had good experiences shopping at the one here in Edmonton (I live in Sherwood Park now).

FWIW: I did order from www.jlaquatics.com and was satisfied. FAST shipping (and it was free)
J&L Aquatics is a GREAT place to order from!!!!

I will never shop at big al's for MANY factors ... most of which is their stund and untrustworthy staff, high prices and the fact that it is small and really dirty!

SerLunchbox said:
I will never shop at big al's for MANY factors ... most of which is their stund and untrustworthy staff, high prices and the fact that it is small and really dirty!

Now, now...you liked Big Al's in Edmonchuk.... :p

SerLunchbox said:
FWIW: I did order from www.jlaquatics.com and was satisfied. FAST shipping (and it was free)
J&L Aquatics is a GREAT place to order from!!!!

Hmm, I don't find the Edmonton location that small, and it certainly wasn't dirty. And I found their prices to be better than other places around here...but maybe there just isn't much to choose from here. What are the other factors?

Toirtis said:

I'm not trying to get into the midde of Calgary/Edmonton rivalry now! :p FWIW, I was really disappointed when I had to move from Calgary back to the Edmonton area.

mishi8 said:
Toirtis said:

I'm not trying to get into the midde of Calgary/Edmonton rivalry now! :p FWIW, I was really disappointed when I had to move from Calgary back to the Edmonton area.

Hey, I harbour no rivalry...I would kill to have Whyte Ave. and environs (and all the heritage buildings), Big Al's (Ed.) and Dad's Fish Room in Calgary...but I can't complain, we really do have the largest, best selection of LFSes in Canada down here...it would be nice if the two cities were about 2 hours closer together.

Toirtis said:

Hey, I harbour no rivalry...I would kill to have Whyte Ave. and environs (and all the heritage buildings), Big Al's (Ed.) and Dad's Fish Room in Calgary...but I can't complain, we really do have the largest, best selection of LFSes in Canada down here...it would be nice if the two cities were about 2 hours closer together.

So what are the best LFSs in Calgary? I'll have to check them out when I'm in town next time. :)

I mail ordered for a while with them. The last order took over a month to get here so I doubt I will get around to ordering from them again.

After I read that you guys saw killis in the Edmonton Big Als I had to go over to our local one "Just in CASE" :)

It is a bit of a disaster... :(

Mooose

Hey there fellow Canadians!

I have ordered from Pets and Ponds a few times. I have emailed them about products. They have always been fast and courteous. I will happily order from them again.

S&H $5.99 per order over $30.00
S&H Free on orders over $200.00 (see below for few exceptions).
(additional shipping fees may apply to wire bird/animal cages, chillers, pond liners, preformed ponds and other heavy/oversized items)

Pets and Ponds
Customer Service
Phone: Toll Free 1 877 PET PET PET :p (1 877 738-7387)
Fax: (705)329-1069
Web site: www.petsandponds.com
Email: mail@petsandponds.com

Postal address :
PO BOX 21014
575 West Street South #1
Orillia (Ontario)
Canada
L3V 7N6

The only problem I have is their selection is limited.
And, no, I don't work for them or receive any renumeration for this endorsement :lol:

Back
Top Bottom