Calling all Albertans!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hello from Fairview! Fairview is one hour north of Grande Prairie.

I'm new to the aquarium hobby but I'm loving it so far.

There isn't a lfs here in Fairview so I have to drive down to GP. I went to Big Al's in Calgary over the Easter weekend. I bought a nice, big aquarium decoration there for $80 and a week later it fell apart. Trying to get a refund from them now. Not looking too good. :(

I have a tall 37G with 2 fancy goldies.

New to this sight. Running a FOWLR 55 tank with my son for about 8 months now. He wants to start another 55 aggressive salt water tank with eels, triggers, etc. Oh my... Really good place in Calgary is Wai's Aquarium on 16th. Right a cross the street from Peter's Drive In. Very smart man and he only does salt water.

I'm in Sherwood Park and fairly new to the hobby, howdy fellow Albertans! Anybody know of a store that will buy my fry or trade them for supplies in the Edmonton area? :) got some electric yellows.

Most lfs will take your fry, as for a credit, I don't think they'll give you much. I haven't had any experience in trading fry but I do know they don't give a lot for my assassin snails. Drives me mental cause I see how much they turn around and sell them for. Lol! You'd be surprised how many people are selling their fry on kijiji now. Maybe something you'd want to consider?

I'm from Edmonton:) I found the new pet land at mayfield has really good freshwater fish. It's a huge store and has lots of selection

I have an add on Kijiji but so far no luck, even if I could get enough money for some fish food or something for them from the store it would be good, I just have no room for all 20 of them so they need to go somewhere, I'd just like some value for them.

Hello from Calgary as well. Which LFS do you recommend for freshwater? New to the hobby but am finding some bad advice at some of these shops...

Depends what you are looking for. I like Golds myself for freshwater but the selections seem better at big als just take what they tell you and do your own research some of the staff are not as good as others.

in Alberta

Hi all name here is Bill. I live in Vulcan which is 60 miles from Calgary, and 60 miles from Lethbridge. Been into salt water since January. I have a 36 gallon bowfront and a 70 gallon tank. The bow front only has a couple of corals in it so far but going to be adding more. I buy all of my items from a company in Lethbridge called Tropic fish importers. Bruce has 40 years experience and has been tons of help to me.
Hope to hear from others in my area.

Does anyone in the Edmonton area know of any good places to find driftwood?

Howdy..

Does anyone in the Edmonton area know of any good places to find driftwood?
Hey all. Albertan here. I have found it basically impossible to find good african cichlids online. I was so excited when I thought that I could order fish from livefishdirect. It was painful when I was proven wrong. Big ALS in edmonton has some decent driftwood.

The guy from under the sea radio (name is escaping me right now) is a big fan of African cichlids because his water params are identical to one of the African lakes and lives in Calgary. Maybe call the # on the podcast show and he can hook you up with a good place. I know he says ordering from the states there's a bunch of hoops to jump thru.

The guy from under the sea radio (name is escaping me right now) is a big fan of African cichlids because his water params are identical to one of the African lakes and lives in Calgary. Maybe call the # on the podcast show and he can hook you up with a good place. I know he says ordering from the states there's a bunch of hoops to jump thru.
Thanks for the advice. I visited the site and it was rather confusing for me to navigate. You sound like you are somewhat familiar with the site. Could you possibly provide me with a link?

www.cichlaholic.com is within Canada, maybe try there. And yeah I know about Big Als, I'm looking for places I can find it naturally though so I don't have to pay a bunch for it

Thanks for the advice. I visited the site and it was rather confusing for me to navigate. You sound like you are somewhat familiar with the site. Could you possibly provide me with a link?

I've never been to the site but if you download the podcast they throw out the # every now and then. It's a good program, they cover everything from marine to FW plants. It's definitely worth checking out.

Another albertan here. Newly joined to this forum. After much research and reading of different people's opinions I figured this was one of the best places to join. From the edmonton area. Only have a small 10gal on the go right now but once I move in a few months hoping to change it over to a plant aquarium as well as start a larger fancy goldfish. See what happens. Good to know not everyone who lives in snow enjoys fish keeping as well

Back
Top Bottom