Hi anyone from toronto

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm an hour (north) away from you. New to AA and new to fish keeping. I go to Big Al's in Brampton. These guys seem like the know what they are talking about, but do you think they do or just want to sell "stuff"? I have an algae bloom (pea green water) and it's trying my patience. Big Al sold me "Algone". It's been 2 weeks and the improvement is small.

Welcome Annie.
If you have a bad algae break out like that, there's probably a few things you should do.
I'm not familiar with Algone, but do some research, and find a reputable free floating algae eliminator. What these products do, they clump the tiny aglae cells together, so that when they enter the filter, they are big enough to get caught and stay in there. Some kill the cells too, others just clump.

While doing these, keep up with PWC, so you can start getting rid of the dead algae before it starts browning.

Add some activated carbon to your filter set-up to try and help with the water clearness.

It's a fairly common problem with ponds, but that's because of direct sunlight and hot temps during summer. Is your tank by a window?

If you have the money to spend, a UV clarifier will clear up the green in no time. UV Sterilizers also help with free floating disease cells.

Back
Top Bottom