The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RolandoM

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello I was wondering if someone ca give me some advice. I recently bought a 36 gallon bow front tank, which I am cycling now on the 5th day. My problem is that it got pretty cloudy now. It has no fish yet, but I wanted to add the seachem stability and the prime. It's that something I should do now or wait until the water gets clear.

Get your water tested. If it is good you can put some fish in there. What you see is called a bacteria bloom. You can research it some more.

Thank you Angelfish owner. I'll test the water. Do you think think I should still put the seachem stability and the prime?

Hi rolando.

How are you cycling the aquarium? Do you know about the nitrigen cycle?

Yes, you should be putting water conditioner (prime) and bottled bacteria (stability) into the aquarium, but first you need to make a decision on how you plan to cycle the aquarium and that will inform you on what else you need to be doing.

If you dont know about the nitrigen cycle, say something and we can assist you in deciding on how you want to carry out your cycle.

Video link is a good introduction to the nitrigen cycle.

https://youtu.be/qMk_SfR0CuU

Well I bought the tank last weekend on Saturday. I came and set it. I put the sand, the filter, and some decoration and fill it up with tap water. I also put some water conditioning Nutrafin Aqua plus. It's been running like that until now. I haven't add any fish yet, but a couple of day ago it got pretty cloudy, but it has clear up today. I seem a few videos on the nitrogen cycle. So I bought seachem stability and prime and I was just going to add some fish food and let nature do its job.

It looks like you are doing a fishless cycle with fish food. If possible I would look at getting some ammonia or ammonium chloride (eg Dr Tims Ammonium Chloride) instead. Ive never tried to cycle with fish food, but people on here have usually reported struggling to get high enough ammonia levels to really get the cycle going.

If you havent already read it, this is the fishless cycle guide that usually gets pointed at on this forum.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/tips-and-tricks-for-your-fastest-fishless-cycle/

If you have any further questions let people know. Dont worry about the cloudy water. Its called a bacterial bloom and usually happens during the cycle. Should clear up after a few days (maybe a week) and is actually a good sign.

Back
Top Bottom