Where to get aragonite and base rock in Canada?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

canadian_eh

Aquarium Advice Regular
Does anyone know anywhere in Canada (specifically I'm in Ottawa) to get dry base rock and aragonite? I tried the HomeDepot play sand but it failed the vinaiger test.

I could order the base rock on-line from the states but I think after shipping etc it will likely cost as much as the lr from my lfs.

Thanks,
Ron.

Well I found the aragonite at Rona in the stone yard. They just call it white play sand...still looking for base rock though.

-Ron

>>HiRocks<< delivers to Canada although you will need to pay a bit extra for freight. Just send them an e-mail with the location of the nearest airport and they should be able to give you a pretty detailed quote.

Cheers
Steve

Hi all, in regards to the Rona "white play sand", is this aragonite? It is made by Bomix or Bromix? It has no mention of being aragonite on the packaging. Thanks.

Ok I tested it with vinegar and it appears to be fizzing. Are the bubbles one or two per second or is it supposed to froth like a tums?

If the one you tested fizz's in a similar fashion as on the website, you should be good to go. If silica, it would react same as if you'd poured plain water on it... no fizz.

Cheers
Steve

Back
Top Bottom