10 gallon, not sure if I overstocked.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

D-vanhorn90

Aquarium Advice Regular
Currently have a 10 gallon with a cascade 100 20 gallon filter. There are 17 fish. 3 platies, 3 guppies, 4 harlequin rasboras, 3 honey dwarfs, betta, ghost catfish, algae eater, and about 8 ghost shrimp. Ive had the tank up and fully cycled for about 5 months or so. I dont really do water changes because the fish die when I do and dont vacuum for the same reason. My tank never gets cloudy or the fish gasping or any signs of a failing tank. Its been fully stocked for about a month. Whats the usual limit for fish in a 10 gallon? Also have an amazon sword plant I just got today with the gourami and betta. I fees them very little every 3 days. Any takes?

:welcome: to AA (y)

There's an issue since properly done water changes should NOT lead to fish dying. How much were you changing? The only reason why a PWC would lead to death (stress) is if you changed like 80% and the water temp and or pH was way off. Also not de-chlorinating the water could stress the fish out.

I'm gonna day your overstocked. Also you really should be doing water changes weekly. If your fish are dying after them, are you using dechlorinator when you add water again?

You are definitely overstocked, unfortunately.
Here's my recommended stocking for your tank:
8x Harlequin Rasboras
1x Betta (or 3x guppies)
8x Ghost Shrimp
1x algae eater (Assuming it's an oto, if not then no)

All of your other fish aren't appropriate for 10 gallon aquariums. Platies and ghost catfish should be in a 20g minimum, ghost cats also need to be in large schools or they will die of stress, and harlequin rasboras should be in a school of at least 6, but more is better. You could keep one or two HDGs in a 10 gallon, but not with your current stocking.

I do use water conditioner but I dont do the water changes for fear of loosing fish. I do put a gallon of water back in due to evaporation about every week-two weeks and theyre fine. Ive had about 8 fish live with the same routine the whole time and never die. Its usually glofish and neon tetras. Aside from the platies fighting here and there but never any fin biting all the fish swim together throughout the tank. It looks fine to me but I def will keep an eye on it.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110916_231619.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110916_231619.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 613
  • ForumRunner_20110916_231721.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110916_231721.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 450
:welcome: to AA! :)
I do use water conditioner but I dont do the water changes for fear of loosing fish. I do put a gallon of water back in due to evaporation about every week-two weeks and theyre fine. Ive had about 8 fish live with the same routine the whole time and never die. Its usually glofish and neon tetras. Aside from the platies fighting here and there but never any fin biting all the fish swim together throughout the tank. It looks fine to me but I def will keep an eye on it.

You have what they call Old Tank Syndrome.

That tank is heavily overstocked. I would suggest rehoming some fish and then keeping up on your daily water changes other than doing them to replace evaporated water.

Ok so my hdg died, should have known not to buy it cause all the others at the store had fungal problems but this is the second to die newly from the store. The regular dwarf gourami started to show signs of black spots so hes in the gallon tank recovering. I took 2 gallons out from vacuuming today and no lost fish. Yay! The amazon sword plant is showing 3 more leaves coming in 3rd day in the tank. Prob get a new filter cartridge in a week. I should add one guppy is a feeder and.very small, hdg is about inch and a half, the betta doesnt get a chance to fight anyone hes too slow at charging and doesnt bother the cobra guppy, very cool looking too.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110920_021738.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110920_021738.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 275
  • ForumRunner_20110920_021836.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110920_021836.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 289
  • ForumRunner_20110920_022156.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110920_022156.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 246
  • ForumRunner_20110920_022221.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110920_022221.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 301
Yeah I would think your overstocked. 1 gallon per fish is usually the rule. But I believe in giving my fish as much room as possible.
And neons i think are hard at first. We went through 2 sets of black neons when we first got our tank set up. We bought 3, lost them next day. Bought 3 more, lost 2, and one survived and it thriving. He hangs out with my headlight tail lights. They all school together and the neon is just as big as the other guys now

The little yellow guy might be a yellow lab or cichlid. Got him for .10 in the cichlid section. He doesn't mess with anyone and is chill. Ive changed my filter cartridge many times before and within days the algae starts to grow, im more concerned about the carbon going in it. and last I do not beleive I am over stocked at all. My fish have plenty of room between them to swim around. Even though my fish may be, by definition, inappropriate tank mates they all look healthy and happy. No fins are bit and torn from each other fighting, and none of them look stressed or acting weird. I think there are some grey areas that can be worked around and still acheive sucess. Animals tend to adapt to their environment well and in my case things are looking pretty good.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110925_003047.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110925_003047.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 175
D-vanhorn90 said:
The little yellow guy might be a yellow lab or cichlid. Got him for .10 in the cichlid section. He doesn't mess with anyone and is chill. Ive changed my filter cartridge many times before and within days the algae starts to grow, im more concerned about the carbon going in it. and last I do not beleive I am over stocked at all. My fish have plenty of room between them to swim around. Even though my fish may be, by definition, inappropriate tank mates they all look healthy and happy. No fins are bit and torn from each other fighting, and none of them look stressed or acting weird. I think there are some grey areas that can be worked around and still acheive sucess. Animals tend to adapt to their environment well and in my case things are looking pretty good.

You posted this thread asking if you were overstocked. You are HIGHLY overstocked in my opinion and others say you are too. Your fish, the rasboras, they need at least 6 of their kind to do well. Your gouramis shouldnt be in a 10g much less multiple gouramis. And the algea eater..if its an otto, okay but you should have 3. If not, it shouldnt be in a 10 either.

And about the fish looking happy, and adapting to their enviroments, i believe the opposite. Fishkeeping is, to me, giving a fish conditions in your tank that are as close to the wild as possible. They might "look" like they have alot of swimming room, but in reality its nothing at all. Just a few things to think about..

To fix the carbon problem, wash the cartridge under cold water first

D-vanhorn90 said:

This has to be a joke.

just to clear up as of now I have a 1.5 inch hdg, a dwarf gourami, 3 platies, 3 guppys 1 being a feeder, betta, 4 rasboras, ghost catfish, baby cichlid, pleco, snail, 8 ghost shrimp. Ive had this tank stocked for months but the overall timey tanks been cycled is well over 2 years. I stopped using amonnia lock it just clouded up my tank, soon as I just let the tank sit and be all the problems went away and my levels were fine. I DO NOT have a problem with fish loss, nor have bought anymore fish. I understand everything yall are telling me, and I know the rules of a tank and this and that. I dont have a problem with carbon but its been about 2 or so months since I changed it last. The overstocked question was more opinion then question. I think my tank would have shown some signs of distress by now and fish dropping.

Hi
Why are you getting aggressive when these guys are trying to help you. You asked a question and they are only giving you their honest opinion.
I have got great advice from here and trust their opinions..

im not, just making it stand out, txt is bad for tones. Im just saying im not ignoring the importance of WC's and vacuuming and the stock. I just did a vacuum and 2/2 gallon water changes in the last 2 weeks.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20110925_071826.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110925_071826.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 135
  • ForumRunner_20110925_072136.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110925_072136.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 147
  • ForumRunner_20110925_072536.jpg
    ForumRunner_20110925_072536.jpg
    36 KB · Views: 125
Overstocking isn't just about swimming room, it's also about bioload. In a 10 gallon tank you have incompatible fish, and there isn't enough room for beneficial bacteria to build up.

If your not going to listen to what people are telling you, what's the point in posting on a fish forum? People here have been in this hobby for decades, and your ignoring them. If you didnt want others opinions why did you start a thread asking if your overstocked?

Back
Top Bottom