10 gallon overstocked?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

germs122

Aquarium Advice Newbie
hey guys, i have a standard 10 gallon tank and was wondering if this stocking list seems overstocked to you.

STOCK
6 x Celestial Pearl Danio (Danio margaritatus)
6 x Ember Tetra (Hyphessobrycon amandae)
4 x Dainty Cory (Corydoras habrosus)
1 x Amano Shrimp (Cardina multidentata)
4 x Cherry Shrimp (Neocaridina heteropoda)
1 x Scarlet Badis (Dario Dario) (optional just wanted some sort of centerpiece)

filter is an aquaclear 20

First off, welcome to AA!
Second, yes that sounds a bit much to me. Even though those fish ll stay relatively small, they tend to stay in the same part of the water column (Middle, bottom, top)
If I were you, I'd go with either 6 celestial pearl danios or 6 ember tetras.
Cut the scarlet basis, not going to be able to feed in there due to it's size and shyness.
You could probably do the cory's
If you're getting red cherry shrimp, I'd wait until a couple months and then get a bigger colony than 4. Around 10-15. That way they can multiply a bit quicker and you see them more often.

Welcome! Yes you are overstocked quite a bit. A general rule of thumb is 1 inch of adult fish per gallon. And you have about 30 inches of fish. Like Nils said, I would choose either the Danios, or the tetras, but not both. Cories are okay if you have t least 5 and the right substrate for them. I would also not recommend the Scarlet Badis. With the cories and your school of fish you are pushing it with the shrimp.

Do this, or buy a bigger tank. I hope this helps!

yeah but if your nirate nirite etc are in check you should be fine just dont add anymore fish how offen do to you do a waterchange

As said in some of the posts.. Yes you are overstocked. Will lead to water quality issues and overcrowding eventually, they're gonna grow!

yeah but if your nirate nirite etc are in check you should be fine just dont add anymore fish how offen do to you do a waterchange

It's not just the bioload that is a concern. It's the amount of fish in one space trying to swim around. He/she has over 20 animals in a tank that is probably 16 inches in length. It can cause stress, and smaller tanks are more volatile as far as parameters are concerned. As you probably know, a stressed fish leads to sickness, which leads to outbreak, which can lead to death.

It's not just the bioload that is a concern. It's the amount of fish in one space trying to swim around. He/she has over 20 animals in a tank that is probably 16 inches in length. It can cause stress, and smaller tanks are more volatile as far as parameters are concerned. As you probably know, a stressed fish leads to sickness, which leads to outbreak, which can lead to death.
+1 plant heavily, overfilter, understock.

Nice community tank and easier to care for!

thanks for all the feed back guys!!

I think ill go with what was recommended and stock it with 6 CPD and some dwarf cory cats! maybe a few shrimp too!

Now as far as cycling, this will be my first tank and have a test kit on the way. do i just add fish food everyday and check water params? also how often do i do water changes during the cycling process?

It is really best to cycle your tank without fish. It is the fastest way to cycle a tank because you do not need to do water changes and no-one of your fish will have to suffer/die. If you do a fish-in cycle, you will be doing 50% water changes everyday for the next 6-8 weeks non-stop. Red Cherry Shrimp also need a cycled tank. The best kit is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit.

So, when cycling, the goal is to get nitrite and ammonia converted to nitrate with there being no nitrite or ammonia in the water after. This is because nitrate is the least toxic to the fish, and nitrate is removed through water changes. Check your parameters, when you add fish food (ammonia) and it shows up as no ammonia or nitrite on your test kit in under 24 hours then you're cycled. Hope that makes sense.

For me that is over stocked, I have 6 white clouds, 6 danios, 2 platies and 1 amano shrimp in a 23 gal planted.
As I have had the platies for about 1.5 years now and these guys are big and it's starting to look slightly like they are treading on each other's toes.
Plus the danios grow bigger! So yes all those sound a bit too much.

To be honest with your cycling you should look at getting ammonia from the internet and dose that, fish food would take forever to convert into ammonia and it would then make a right mess!
There are loads of guides on the net about fishless cycling with using just ammonia! Trust me that option will be worth it.

Back
Top Bottom