10 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mhagwood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi. I have a 10 gallon tank that after forever is finally cycled. Right now I have 3 guppies and 1 snail. I want to get a couple ghost shrimp but I don't want to overcrowd the tank so will this be ok? My fish and my snail have been in there a couple of weeks. Also I have seen that the shrimp can eat my snail is this true? If so I won't be getting the shrimp I like my snail. Thanks.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dont add ghost shrimp!!!
My full grown female guppy was perfectly fine when I fed her in the afternoon and when I fed them again the next morning the guppy never came out to eat like usual and i got worried. I searched all over the tank for her and saw her tail sticking out of a log/driftwood decoration. I lifted up the log and found my ghost shrimp gnawing on her.

Sent from my iPod touch using Aquarium Advice

Joey, shrimp tend to eat dead fish and are much too weak to prey on healthy fish (nor is it in their nature). I respect what you are saying and it is an unfortunate circumstance, but I doubt that the addition of the ghost shrimp was the direct cause to your fishes death.

OP, adding a few shrimp will be fine. With the exception of extremes, it is rarely the inverts that overstock a tank.

Joey, shrimp tend to eat dead fish and are much too weak to prey on healthy fish (nor is it in their nature). I respect what you are saying and it is an unfortunate circumstance, but I doubt that the addition of the ghost shrimp was the direct cause to your fishes death.

OP, adding a few shrimp will be fine. With the exception of extremes, it is rarely the inverts that overstock a tank.

+1 freshwater shrimp are harmless.

Caleb

I've got a 29 gallon community with 6 ghost shrimp and a large Apple snail. I also have 4 celebese rainbow, 7 zebra danios, and an almost full grown albino bristlenose. I have not noticed them harming any of their tank mates in the 7 months I've had them. The shrimp tend to be on the more aggressive side but only when there is food involved because it's survival of the fittest right? They have so much character and they're quite interesting creatures! I'm sure they would fair just fine in your tank!

•30 gallon community-10 gallon hermit crab-5 gallon betta WIP-30 gallon bearded dragon WIP•

About the rest of your set-up.

I'll +1 all the others regarding the shrimp, you'll find the guppies won't bother the larger shrimp (but will make a meal of any shrimplets).

The larger question of what you can stock in the tank is related to what and how much filtration you are using, and, more importantly, how attentive you'll be able to be with the tank.

Right now my 29 gallon is host to 50 (yes - fifty) fish, but it's 1) well planted with both stem, floating and carpet plants; 2) the tank has PLENTY of filtration: A Fluval 306 canister filter crammed with Seachem matrix, pot scrubbers and Fluval bio rings; and 3) I tend the tank daily - checking chemistry, pruning/removing dead plant matter, watching for odd behavior in the fish (all juvenile tetras except for six corys and 4 otos).

Water changes are bi-weekly and the filter gets a cleaning every six to eight weeks.

If you are starting out, the inch per gallon rule, while not great, is likely safe enough with the fish you describe - but with care and understanding and attention you can have a very nice, vibrant tank in 10 gallons (until the addiction kicks in and then there's no hope :))

You are off to a great start - this forum is a fantastic place to get help and learn everything from the basics to the advanced stuff!

Back
Top Bottom