2 Clown Loaches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

THuey561

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
This morning I purchased 2 Clown Loaches for my 29 gallon.

I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 is about 4" the other is about 2-2.5". I left the house this afternoon, and when I came back at night I only had 1 Clown Loache left. I have noticed the 4" Gourami seems to be extra fat. I didn't find the Loache anywhere, not even outside of the tank. I am assuming the Gourami ate him. :(

I had a significant amount of rocks which should provide adequate hiding space for smaller fish and those bottom feeders that like to hide. I also have 2 large plants, 5 medium plants, and 4 small plants. I thought that'd be good enough. Apparently not.

I added a few more rocks and tried to reposition them to allow more hiding spaces and spots where the smaller fish can get to but the bigger ones shouldn't be able to.

Is that enough?

I really want to get a couple more Clown Loaches, but not if my Gourami is going to make a $10 meal out of them every time he gets hungry. Advice is much appreciated.

P.s. I have reason to believe the 4" Blue Gourami may have ate a small male Dalmation Molly I added a couple weeks ago.

THuey561 said:
This morning I purchased 2 Clown Loaches for my 29 gallon.

I have 2 Blue Gouramis, 1 is about 4" the other is about 2-2.5". I left the house this afternoon, and when I came back at night I only had 1 Clown Loache left. I have noticed the 4" Gourami seems to be extra fat. I didn't find the Loache anywhere, not even outside of the tank. I am assuming the Gourami ate him. :(

I had a significant amount of rocks which should provide adequate hiding space for smaller fish and those bottom feeders that like to hide. I also have 2 large plants, 5 medium plants, and 4 small plants. I thought that'd be good enough. Apparently not.

I added a few more rocks and tried to reposition them to allow more hiding spaces and spots where the smaller fish can get to but the bigger ones shouldn't be able to.

Is that enough?

I really want to get a couple more Clown Loaches, but not if my Gourami is going to make a $10 meal out of them every time he gets hungry. Advice is much appreciated.

Just buy a bigger fish a golden pleco or large clown loaches

Just buy a bigger fish a golden pleco or large clown loaches

I figured that's be a good solution, as I really wanted to stick with the loaches, but I can't find any in my area that are more than 1.5"

I also just read something about Danios being a distraction to larger more aggressive fish. I used to have a school of 3 a while back, and I never had a problem with aggression.

Could that be a solution?

THuey561 said:
I figured that's be a good solution, as I really wanted to stick with the loaches, but I can't find any in my area that are more than 1.5"

I also just read something about Danios being a distraction to larger more aggressive fish. I used to have a school of 3 a while back, and I never had a problem with aggression.

Could that be a solution?

I think you could buy them online 3.5 Inc.
But pleco are the best bet. They are friendly vegetarian
Good luck buddy

I'm sorry, you have a 29gal? And you want to put clown loaches in there? Are you planning on upgrading your tank size as the fish grow? They can get between 5-10 inches and need schools of at least 5-6 to be happy. Just saying :)

I'm sorry, you have a 29gal? And you want to put clown loaches in there? Are you planning on upgrading your tank size as the fish grow? They can get between 5-10 inches and need schools of at least 5-6 to be happy. Just saying :)

I do plan on upgrading to a bigger tank within the next year, and I hope to keep this one going especially if I have smaller fish I'd like to raise before putting them in a big tank with the more mature fish.

Mlani said:

Mlani's right. Your tank needs to be at lease 60 up. Clown loaches grows 8-12 inch.
My tank is 82 gallon they are happy I only have two. And a golden pleco and royal pleco which grow 12 inch
And 8 discus need to upgrade tank soon

Do you think adding more rocks (hiding places) will have solved my problem? Or should I look into adding the Danios to distract the aggressive Gourami?

I would like to get a couple more Clown Loaches, but only if I think they'll be safe (that is until I upgrade).

I don't have a lot of experience with gouramis (sp?) but I am a firm believer in there never being too many hiding places. :)

I figured out my problem. The crayfish I had in the tank was the culprit! I separated the Gouramis this afternoon, and later in the day I came back to find the crayfish standing over clown loach fins.

I had experience with 2 "crawfish" that appeared to be the same type. One was red and the other was blue, and both were non-aggressive to any of the fish I had them with. Those "crawfish" had one huge claw and one smaller claw.

The "crayfish" in my tank this time around appeared more like a lobster with both claws the same size, he was greyish-brown. I now have him separated from my 29.

Hard lesson to learn, but thanks for all the help!

Back
Top Bottom