A good FIRST “Single Betta / Tiny Bowl” Setup while building a larger system

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LHotelUmbraQua

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
What do you recommend as a good FIRST “Single Betta / Tiny Bowl” Setup to get now, while I design and purchase and configure my very first small tank?

I want to start caring for a fish every day *now*, while I have enthusiasm, so I can start enjoying fish-keeping and care.

It could be a NON-betta — any freshwater tiny-bowl-compatible “showy” fish. In case I don’t decide to start with a betta, I want something I can bring into my tank — not something I have to get rid of.

I don’t want to start off by getting fish to experiment on, then throw away, and start again (tho I know it might happen). I want to start by giving a home to fish I’m committed to from the start, one I want to care for and give a real chance to thrive..

Thank you, friends!

Well, not a helpful answer, or in the spirit of the question, but:

a) As it is a common practice; legal; and popular...

and...

b) As it is obvious I am looking for a very temporary home for a fish I care about, and care for and feed, and wish to continue to long-term, and am doing it for the sole purpose of providing a non-bowl home to additional fish, to order to learn very basic daily disciplines of feeding, etc.;

and assuming...

c) ...I run into such a small-bowl / betta or non-betta fish, homeless on the streets of NYC, as I step over pandemic victims you find laying on sidewalks everywhere;

What type of fish might survive just fine in a tiny bowl, temporarily, while we bond, and I design his/her bedroom and find a perfect tank-mate?

Serious question; serious answers only, please.

Paul

It’s cruel to keep a fish in a tiny bowl, that’s not an opinion it’s a fact. You’ll not get anyone giving you a different answer here. From reading all your posts your plan isn’t a good idea. Multiple people tell you that the tank is to small for one beta and you continue to plan on multiple fish. And it seems like you’ve done little to no research on fish keeping or how properly set up a tank.

The issue here is why submit the poor fish to a tiny bowl while setting up a larger system. The way you’re wording it sounds cruel. Sounds like you don’t know if you’re that interested in fishkeeping, haven’t done much research and want to keep the fish in a little bowl to bond before moving it to a larger system. Doing a bit of research will help you more than you know.

Why not take some time, scour the internet on aquarium cycling, betta care, filtration, heating, min. Tank size, plants, etc. Your fish will be much happier if you give it an adequate tank off the bay vs a piece of crap bowl…patience is a huge thing with the aquarium hobby and as hobbyists especially on forums like this people care deeply about their fish and educating ppl who don’t really know or realize what fish actually require. Many chain stores are horrible about explaining cycling, tank sizes and such. We want you to succeed with your fish as a beginner so you don’t get frustrated by constant issues and then leave the hobby like so many ppl do.

Cycling a tank involves testing for harmful compounds weekly and in a tiny bowl things like ammonia from fish waste and food becomes toxic very quickly. A 5 gallon tank with heater, filter and some decorations is like $50-60 all together. You can even take water samples to a fish store for testing during cycling. More water=more stability and an easier tank overall.

Now THIS is an example of how to treat newcomers. Bravo, Bribo12.

An eloquently, civilly, well-reasoned and persuasively-stated view. I have little regard for any other.

(In fact, if I did dispose of my plans to temporarily hotel a fish in a tiny bowl, it would not be due to less civilly stated views, but more likely because it would be... too much fun... for the bowl.)

I am, in fact, taking a lot of time to scour for information (see below), you will be happy to know. More than some may assume.

Would it make you feel better if I pledge to only acquire such a fish-in-a-bowl for free, even if it is ugly and has no references, for no consideration or payment, from someone who would otherwise destroy such a creature, and who wishes to provide an (eventual) better home for it -- and, I re-tank it the moment my equipment and systems are acquired, configured, tested, and the tank cycled fully (and fishlessly)?

Care and methodical planning go into any new enterprise I take up. (And I tend to go overboard on both.)

-- l'HUQ

On an article at Aquarium Advice titled "Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium" (1), and an article it links to, "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" (2) have been most helpful to me during my short but deep immersion in Fish Kare 4 Beginners.

As I effectively know nothing from experience, I would welcome your views of these articles, including (and especially) dissenting ones, if stated civilly.

(1) https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
(2) https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

The issue here is why submit the poor fish to a tiny bowl while setting up a larger system. The way you’re wording it sounds cruel. Sounds like you don’t know if you’re that interested in fishkeeping, haven’t done much research and want to keep the fish in a little bowl to bond before moving it to a larger system.

Why not take some time, scour the internet on aquarium cycling, betta care, filtration, heating, min. Tank size, plants, etc. Your fish will be much happier if you give it an adequate tank off the bay vs a piece of crap bowl…patience is a huge thing with the aquarium hobby and as hobbyists especially on forums like this people care deeply about their fish and educating ppl who don’t really know or realize what fish actually require. Many chain stores are horrible about explaining cycling, tank sizes and such. We want you to succeed with your fish as a beginner so you don’t get frustrated by constant issues and then leave the hobby like so many ppl do.

What did I say that’s “un civil” to you? All I did was give you the truth which you don’t want to see. And now it appears that you think it’s ok to be cruel to something if it’s free? Your on a forum for ETHICAL fish keeping, sorry for telling you the truth but nothing belongs in a bowl, or in the tiny tank you’re getting ready to set up honestly. But what do I know, I’ve only been running tanks for 20 years.

Now THIS is an example of how to treat newcomers. Bravo, Bribo12.

An eloquently, civilly, well-reasoned and persuasively-stated view. I have little regard for any other.

(In fact, if I did dispose of my plans to temporarily hotel a fish in a tiny bowl, it would not be due to less civilly stated views, but more likely because it would be... too much fun... for the bowl.)

I am, in fact, taking a lot of time to scour for information (see below), you will be happy to know. More than some may assume.

Would it make you feel better if I pledge to only acquire such a fish-in-a-bowl for free, even if it is ugly and has no references, for no consideration or payment, from someone who would otherwise destroy such a creature, and who wishes to provide an (eventual) better home for it -- and, I re-tank it the moment my equipment and systems are acquired, configured, tested, and the tank cycled fully (and fishlessly)?

Care and methodical planning go into any new enterprise I take up. (And I tend to go overboard on both.)

-- l'HUQ

On an article at Aquarium Advice titled "Guide to Starting a Freshwater Aquarium" (1), and an article it links to, "The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling" (2) have been most helpful to me during my short but deep immersion in Fish Kare 4 Beginners.

As I effectively know nothing from experience, I would welcome your views of these articles, including (and especially) dissenting ones, if stated civilly.

(1) https://www.aquariumadvice.com/guide-to-starting-a-freshwater-aquarium/
(2) https://www.aquariumadvice.com/foru...guide-and-faq-to-fishless-cycling-148283.html

Those articles are good, but outside of a betta you will not have much luck keeping anything in a bowl for very long. I will reiterate what others have said and say it is not a good idea and I would advise against it.

Also, how small of a bowl are we talking? A betta can live quite comfortably in a big 3 gallon drum style bowl with proper maintenance, but anything much smaller than that isn't the right way to do things in my opinion.

Just do yourself a favor and setup a 10 gallon tank at minimum. It is a lot more fun to keep a tank of that size than something smaller and your fish will thank you.

Back
Top Bottom