Adding balas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Keni

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi guys and gals. I'm going to get some fish Friday to stock my two new tanks and I thought about geting some bala sharks to go with the gold fish I have now. Its a huge tank but I was wondering if thay would be good tank mates I can't find any info on that. They are both from the carp family and act very alike it would be safe right?

I personally would not keep goldfish with any tropical fish that prefer warmer temperatures.

What size is your tank? I currently have young bala sharks in a 50 gallon tank which is really too small for them already. But I do small water changes every day and clean filters often to try to make them as comfortable as possible until I can get a larger tank for them.

Bala sharks are tropical, and goldfish are not. That already doesn't work for them.

Also, Bala sharks are social fish, that enjoy having company. Bala sharks grow HUGE. I believe it's 125 gallons minimum. But preferably 200+ gallons.

Bala sharks are tropical, and goldfish are not. That already doesn't work for them.

Also, Bala sharks are social fish, that enjoy having company. Bala sharks grow HUGE. I believe it's 125 gallons minimum. But preferably 200+ gallons.

Agreed, good info, plus goldfish are extremely messy

My goldfish have always been with tropical fish and they thrive. My goldfish range from 3"-6" and need the same tank size and basicaly the set up. They are extreme jumpers too and their hood is a heavy one. The tank is over 20 gallons I'm not sure how much the privious owner didn't know but its pretty big. I read a 20 gallon was ok to start with and to move from there. I'm moving this may or so and will be getting a bigger tank for them. A 75 gallon and the year after that a 135 gallon. Thank you all for the imput I would love more.

U can't keep more than one goldfish in a 20g tank the rule is 20g for one 10g for each additional gold fish so do t get any Baka Sharks!!

For balas you need at least 6 of them and they grow well over 1ft in length. Goldfish are the same but goldfish will last longer if kept in colder water of around 66degrees

What gallon tank is it?? I would say 180g minimum. Best would be around 220g+ because they are best with a minimum of 6. They like to school and are very very active.

My goldfish have always been with tropical fish and they thrive.

What temperature do you plan on trying to keep them at??

As far as tank size (for just bala sharks, not even considering the goldfish), it was a mistake for me to put them in a 50 gallon tank. The last time I kept bala sharks, their 'starter tank' was a 6-ft. 120 gallon tank. I do think that was acceptable for young small bala sharks. I would NOT recommend getting bala sharks until after you have a tank at least that big to start them off in.

Back
Top Bottom