Advice on stocking a new 37 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahm

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Good morning everyone!

I have recently purchased a 37 gallon aquarium that I will be setting up and begin cycling soon. I currently have a 10 gallon with 5 Cory Cats and 3 African Dwarf Frogs and a 5 gallon with a male Betta. The Cory Cats will be going into the new tank once it's cycled, and the frogs will be staying in the 10 gallon.

I am planning on having live plants, drift wood, and maybe some small rock caves (any suggestions on what type of rock?). I need some suggestions on what type of fish to have in it. These are fish I have thought about:

1 Angelfish
5 Cory Cats
1 Bristlenose Pleco
5 Kuhli Loaches

Would adding the Kuhli Loaches be too many bottom feeders? Should I only get the Bristlenose Pleco if I have algae growing in the tank? Any suggestions on other fish that would be good tankmates with a Angelfish? Would it be better to get 2 Angelfish? Any suggestions are welcomed!

Imo might be heavy on the bottom dwellers. Perhaps a school of mid-level dwellers and keep to one angelfish as centre-piece fish.

I probably say this to everyone considering getting a pleco, but only get them if you really enjoy them for what they are, not for 'cleaning'. They poop far more than they clean algae wise, and algae is easier to get rid of by controlling lighting etc. Pleco can hide a lot. Had a friend who bought a used setup and it took a year before she realized she owned a clown pleco. They are very cool, but bioloads, even the smaller ones, may take up more 'space' you may prefer for something else.

Back
Top Bottom