African butterfly fish.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you need a school of clown loachs or the don't do well and they get big
if you get the butterfly fish make shore it is eating what you want to feed it some will only eat live food , if your buying at a lfs have them feed them first

The owner was showing me when he was feeding it. So I know it eats. They guy was feeding it tetra flakes. Where do you see a clown loach?

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Oh, IK what you mean. I meant clown pleco. Loach must of been in my mind when I typed this. Yeah I know I don't want a clown loach my tank is not big enough.

Yy

Nice fish. I've seen them display interesting behavior. When I worked at my lfs there was one butterfly fish that would sink to the bottom to hunt tetras.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yeah, I saw mine at the bottom of my tank. Other than that they usually stay in one spot. It's trap door of a mouth is cool. Once it gets bigger I will give it some crickets.

You will probably want to keep en eye of smaller fish like the black neons also, that might not go so well in the long run once the butterfly fish is a bit bigger. :)

The neons are full grown. I have a school of 9 of them. They were on sale for a $1 so I'm not too worried. I have a long time before he can eat an 2 in fish. Just as long as he doesn't touch my rams. Which shouldn't be a problem as long as the rams stay to the bottom of the tank.

Well, as you have already realized, that mouth can open up pretty wide. So, it may well be sooner than you think. I have also known of them to eat some rather expensive tankmates, like for example, a 2 inch ram who wanders to the top for food. ;) I can't really tell from the pictures how large yours is, just keep in mind there is a reason they are not suggested to live with bite sized tankmates. Good luck though!

He is still probably 2-3in. They max out at 5in so I'm not too worried.

I have seen them more like 7 and more than capable of eating 3 inches fish, which is why I bring it up. I know you will keep an eye on it though, so I hope it all works out. :) They are incredibly neat fish! Get more pics when you can.

Back
Top Bottom