"Ahgoo" the Green Wolf Eel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Legacy

Aquarium Advice Freak
For about 4 months now I've had my eye on obtaining a Green Wolf Eel but I had to wait for my brackish tank to be at a high enough salinity to safely pull it off. Not to mention that his Green Spotted Puffer tankmate was still a tad on the small side, here's the pics:

Ahgoo_Mugshot.jpg

Ahgoo_Profile.jpg

We decided to let our 4mo old son, Evan, name him. "Ahgoo" is the only thing he can say, haha. :D

This male Green Wolf Eel (actually a pseudochromis) is about 7" Long and 1/2" in diameter. He's a lime color but shifts into a lemon color also depending on his surroundings. He went into my wife's 37g Tall Brackish tank that has a "rubble reef" theme w/a decent build up of lace rock, crushed coral sand, mussel shells and several a bunch of synthetic marine macro/plants made by SeaGarden.

The interesting thing is that I have this GWE in high-end brackish. I did some research and I found that C. Subducens is often times found in coastal brackish areas. In order to reduce risks I only acclimated him down to 1.016SG which is really only .001SG below what a lot of people keep FOWLR tanks.

Keeping any tankmates with a puffer, or any tankmates with an eel, is a serious gamble. The instant I dropped the bag in the tank to float the GSP bit a hole in the bag. This morning I noticed that the GWE has a nip on it's tail, but that's it. So far they're leaving each other alone, probably because there's enough territory.

- Dave

Zagz said:
He is really gorgeous! How big does he get or is that full grown? Is your puffer full grown?

Thanks. He will reach an adult size of 18" and about the diameter of a bicycle tire. The puffer is only 3" in length, still a juvenille. Acceptable for full marine, but I wont be going any higher till she's larger. She's actually showing improvement since raising the SG.

If you guys are wondering, I can tell he's a male because he's green. Females are a pinkish-brown with pink speckles.

Sorry for all the questions but I keep learning every day in this hobby, next question. When the puffer is full grown and this guy is full grown, won't the eel be the predator? It's hard for me to imagine a 3" puffer doing damage to an eel that big. LOL

Zagz said:
Sorry for all the questions but I keep learning every day in this hobby, next question. When the puffer is full grown and this guy is full grown, won't the eel be the predator? It's hard for me to imagine a 3" puffer doing damage to an eel that big. LOL

Do you remember how many questions I asked you about when my bio-spira bombed on my first tank? HAHA! Keep the questions coming. :D

6" Puffer that can expand to 2x it's normal size if attacked should be ok. I'll have to monitor them constantly just in case. If the eel gets too big too quickly I'll seperate them.

Today during feeding the eel tried to steal her food and she pecked him in the face. It was quite comical. He shook his head around in shock but wasn't harmed in the least. Water changes are going to be interesting with 2 tooth filled mouths in the tank. Today while feeding the eel, the eel distracted me and the puffer snuck up and bit me... they're a good team.

Here's a couple more pics:
Rubble_Reef.jpg

This is a full tank shot(with a few inches of the top cropped off accidentally). Tank is a mess until the next PWC when I can clean it all up. I'm not ready to put my hands back in the tank yet.

Ahgoo_Seaweed.jpg

He loves hiding in the weeds. It usually takes me a minute to locate him in all that dense foliage even if he's right in front of my face.

Back
Top Bottom