Beginner...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hillbillyfish

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello to all!!

I am such a "rookie" when it comes to fish! I had a couple of goldfish as a kid (carnival fish). They didn't last long so I just kind of gave up on them. My youngest son's grandmother got him a goldfish last year. We had him in a 1g tank. We also added two more goldfish in with him, unfortunately the new additions did not survive long. About a month ago I upgraded to a Aqua Culture 10g. I got small gravel for the bottom and bought some plastic plants for decor. I also added a really cool plastic helicopter (for aquariums) that we placed in the middle. Everything seemed fine so I went and got two more goldfish. Both were small sized black moore fancy tails (1-2" each). After about a month we noticed the water was becoming cloudy so we changed it. I did not know until after we changed the water and the smaller two fish died that I took out too much water...lesson learned. We did not know that taking out too much water was possible until we went to the local fish store (thats been around for almost 25yrs) and we told them what had happened. So we bought two more goldfish, one just a simple goldfish and the other a black moore fancy tail, both were 1-2" in size. We brought them home, let the bags float, added some of our tank water to them and then put them in. Meanwhile the larger goldfish seemed to be ok. About 3-4 days later the smaller new fish both died. I called the fish store and they asked me to bring in some of the water so they could test it. Come to find out my Nitrite level was 5.0. Again I'm sorry I'm learning this as I go, who knew fish were so much work? They told us to do a 50% water change, and also sold me a gravel vac along with a complete Freshwater Master Test Kit so that I could make sure all my parameters were in line. About a week went by and everything seemed to be ok so I went back and bout a med size black moore fancy tail (i think they look really neat). Two days later our original goldfish got some black spots on him. My wife said she read online that it was brusing from being moved and he would be ok. Well, he died and now my black moore has contracted a white fungus all over his body. I went back to the fish store told them what was going on, even showed pics. They gave me an antibiotic called Maracyn by Mardel. They told me to treat him for 5 days then do a 50% water change on the sixth day. Well today is the fifth day and he still looks awful. He doesn't really move, he just lays on the bottom.

At this point I'm not sure what the heck to do. I do know that through lots of research and the posts on this site I am learning alot!! My question to the community is this: With having this 10g tank and a half dead goldfish on my hands, should I find another hobby or is there easier fish to care for? I drive a truck for a living and am only home a couple days a week but my wife and kids are here. So if I can learn what to do, I can teach them what to do while I'm gone. Neither my wife or myself are as knowledgeable about fish as some of you are. I am up for any and all advice. As sad as this may sound I have spent quite a bit of money in the last month on new fish and meds to just give up now.

Thank you all for your time and support!!!

Couple questions to start with:

Can you share your complete water test with us?
What filter do you have and how long have you had it?
When adding water, do you add prime or other conditioner?
Are you able to get a picture of your fish to post?

Here is a good article to read if you have not read it yet about cycling:
I just learned about cycling but I already have fish. What now?! - Aquarium Advice

And a post with links to other articles to look through:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...ou-get-started-with-your-aquarium-154837.html

Just a quick analysis: your new tank doesn't seem to be cycled yet. Test the water daily until the ammonia and nitrite reads 0. After testing, do a 30-50% water change.

With goldfish though, you should only keep the one in a 10g (and a 10g is too small for goldfish). Recommended tank size that I see regularly for goldfish is 30g. In the forum list, there is a coldwater forum under the Freshwater section. There is lots of good information there also.

Anyone else have something to add/help?

Water test: Ph 7.2; Ammonia 0ppm; Nitrite .50ppm; Nitrate 20ppm. I know the Nitrite is high and should be 0ppm but we've been doing the meds for the fungus so I'll be doing a WC tomorrow. I cannot recall the name of the filter but it HOB and is recommended for 10g tank. We have had the tank for approx 6 weeks. When I did the original WC (took too much) I replaced the media...thanks for the links!!

Nitrites are high, but not horrible. Replacing media though is bad. At least after having the cycle completed. Should only need to clean it in tank water taken out during a water change. (drain some water from the tank into a bucket, gently scrub/rinse media in the bucket).

As for the the sickness, if nothing comes up soon here, try creating a thread in the unhealthy fish section: Freshwater & Brackish - Unhealthy Fish - Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community
Post the pictures along with a short description of what happened/caused it and tank parameters. Warning though, you might get some saying that you need get a bigger tank and that's all they'll do.

Back
Top Bottom