Beta Fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarahrose

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just got a beta almost two weeks ago as my very first fish. I currently have him in a 1 gallon aquarium. What's the best way to care for one? IMG_3827.jpg

I was originally planning on getting a bigger one for him. How much bigger should he have?

3-5 gallons at least. Can get a couple other small fish to be its friends!

Okay! And the lady at petsmart who sold me him said she grew up breeding them and that they're better off being alone because they'll fight others.

Usually fight other male betas. Seen many people that have smaller community fish in with their beta

Bettas do pretty well alone in a 1 gallon, like you have. They will take oxygen from the surface, as you might see him gulp air from the surface of the water. He might also build some bubble nests. If you decide to get him tank mates, I'd suggest a 10 gallon and consider 1 gallon per inch of adult fish. Don't forget to cycle it first. Some good tank mates are non-aggressive communal bland colored fish, as colorful fish might seem like there is another betta, and they will fight or attack anything that looks even remotely like a betta. I have a female betta with 2 African dwarf frogs, and they do well together.

1g for any fish is not acceptable. The one inch rule died in the 80s. It does not take into account activity and school/shoal needed for health and natural behavior.

I have seen him gulp for air and he has created huge bubble nests. He seems a lot happier since I got him. He's a lot more active and when I walk into the room he does this little dance thing. I thought about getting him tank mates but I've seen him attack his reflection on the glass and thought he'll be better alone. How often should I change the water?

I have seen him gulp for air and he has created huge bubble nests. He seems a lot happier since I got him. He's a lot more active and when I walk into the room he does this little dance thing. I thought about getting him tank mates but I've seen him attack his reflection on the glass and thought he'll be better alone. How often should I change the water?

Get a gravel vacuum compatible for the size of your tank, and do a weekly 25% water change. Always remember to treat new water with a water conditioner to remove harmful chlorine. Keep him away from heavy traffic areas, drafts, and direct sunlight. Don't overfeed, uneaten food in the tank will contaminate the water. Betta are very hardy fish, but while you're happy with the 1 gallon for now, you may find it in the fish's best interest to upsize. More swimming space, less frequently contaminated water = happier fish. :)

I once had a betta which was in the exact same color that you have. Seeing this, I miss him. He was with me for a year. Jumped out and died...

I once had a betta which was in the exact same color that you have. Seeing this, I miss him. He was with me for a year. Jumped out and died...

Awww, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I, too, had a betta who jumped out. Noticed he was missing for a while and walked over and found him dried up on the ground. Very sad day.

Cover the bowl with screen or netting. In such a small space they can get easily startled.

I use 2.5-5g for most of my Bettas. I've used up to 12g tanks.

This was my old Betta in his 10g palace. Custom Lily pipes, Canister filter, live plants.
IMG_0190.jpg

My newest Betta will be getting a reset soon. He's green with white. I'll try to get some pics.

With a 1g , you need to do water changes 2x weekly. Most people overfeed so 1x weekly may not cut it. I'd also do bigger volume water changes. With a bowl, I usually catch my Betta with a cup and change entire bowl. Try to match temp and use Prime.

With a filtered tank you may need to baffle the filter or use a slightly smaller HOB filter.

What are some peaceful tank mates that go with betta fish?

I've used short finned non nippy fish. White Clouds aren't compatible temp wise, but mine lived a long time in a 12g with a Betta.

I mostly keep my Bettas singly so I can control food intake. I find my Bettas overeat in community tanks. But that's me.

Back
Top Bottom