Beyond the tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lreilly

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have finally settled in to my new apartment. I have one dwarf puffer tank up and going and got my first bird. She is so cute I had to show her to some one. So here is Pearl.

Attachments

• pearl_157.jpg
    pearl_157.jpg
    170.6 KB · Views: 112
Most of her tail it in the carpet, some how. It is longer than what the picture shows. She does have a small damage line in it, not sure how that came about. She came with it. We have had her for two days now. She seems to be doing well. I am so excited it is silly.

I am so sure I will. My kids are going crazy because I will not let them touch her yet. She needs some more time. I have been reading like crazy and hope to give her a very good home.

She's cute! If you spend a lot of time with her she will be so much a part of the family. Although all of us are adults my mom still raises birds and breeds parakeets just for fun. Her favorites are the pink ones. Have fun with her!

She is just so little and plump. I all ready want to spoil her. My husband is really afraid of birds, we now live in different states, and calles her my guard bird.

That's so great to hear. I don't want any more people babies so he is my new baby. I just I should be a better mom, because I have been told that she is really a he.

Just so you dont try... Only males can talk. I wasted a lot of time tying to get mine to talk before I learned this...

How do you know it's a she? Male parakeets have blue ceres (the area above the beak), and females brownish ones. It looks more like a male to me........but could just be that the bird's still young. Sorry for trying to be the wise guy here :oops: I just used to have a couple (although they did never lay eggs).

By the way, lovely birdie! :D

It is a she, you have the colors mixed up.

Females have blue ones, males have brown ones (I guess, I cannot remember what color my male one was, but I think it was brownish)

oh BTW they arent hard to keep care of.
All you really need to do is keep taking the eaten seeds (The shells I guess) off of the rest of the seeds, because they wont move the shells away or dig deeper.

KEEP THEM AWAY FROM WALLS TOO, they are pretty messy...

Clipping their wings is easy, you can do it with a pair of scicors from the drawer. I can show you what feathers to cut, just take a picture of the underside of their wing and I will show you (I have no clue where I could find a picture of one on the internet). Its really easy.

I gave my birds away because I got tired of cleaning up the mess they make!

Also, KEEP IT OUT IN THE OPEN. Keep it around people as much as you can. One of ours got really mean becasue it wasnt in the open very much, and since it was mean I didnt want to try to play with it either (It bit you every time you tried to open the cage)

And then the obvious... Clean the cage out, etc.

Actually as I think about it.... I have no clue what color of nose things mine had, but I do know I had one female (And that was the one that couldnt talk, also happened to be the meaner of all of them :lol: )

Around here they will sell you a setup (Cage, food, and bird I think) for something like $25 or so.

Maybe the petstore told me wrong, but I think they said the females are a purple beak and the males are a blue, or it may be the other way around.

After reading up on it I am right, but these colors are for when they are young, these are not the adult colors.

Mine talked, so now you have heard of it....

She is aware already that the bird is a male. It's a beautiful bird. It doesn't matter what sex it is. And yes, although it's voice isn't as clear as an amazon or other large "talking" parrot, they can learn to speak. It just takes alot of patience and you have to listen harder to hear it.

Back
Top Bottom